Construction to begin on St Mary’s Church in Ballygunner

Present at the signing of the contract for the extensions and alterations to St Mary’s Church, Ballygunner, on 16 March 2010, were (Back row from left to right): Niall Sheridan from Sheridan & Associates, Mechanical and Electrical Engineer, Fr. Raymond Liddane, Fr. John Tracey, Laura White from Healy Kelly Turner & Townsend, Quantity Surveyor, Ian Ferguson from Healy Kelly Turner & Townsend, Quantity Surveyor, Tom O’Brien, Chairperson of the Parish Pastoral Council, John Norris from Malone O’Regan, Structural Engineer, Martin Tritschler from Tritschler Tritschler and Associates, Architect, Maurice Phelan, Pastoral Council, Noel Howley from Tritschler Tritschler and Associates, Architect. (Front Row from left to right): Fr Pat Cooney, Parish Priest, Tom O’Brien from Tom O’Brien Construction, Main Contractor.

Present at the signing of the contract for the extensions and alterations to St Mary’s Church, Ballygunner, on 16 March 2010, were (Back row from left to right): Niall Sheridan from Sheridan & Associates, Mechanical and Electrical Engineer, Fr. Raymond Liddane, Fr. John Tracey, Laura White from Healy Kelly Turner & Townsend, Quantity Surveyor, Ian Ferguson from Healy Kelly Turner & Townsend, Quantity Surveyor, Tom O’Brien, Chairperson of the Parish Pastoral Council, John Norris from Malone O’Regan, Structural Engineer, Martin Tritschler from Tritschler Tritschler and Associates, Architect, Maurice Phelan, Pastoral Council, Noel Howley from Tritschler Tritschler and Associates, Architect. (Front Row from left to right): Fr Pat Cooney, Parish Priest, Tom O’Brien from Tom O’Brien Construction, Main Contractor.

Tom O’Brien Construction Ltd has commenced work on St Mary’s Church in Ballygunner. The work will consist of alterations and restorations to the existing church including extensions to the South and East wings that will increase the seating capacity from 213 to 419. Currently the existing church is too small for many functions due to the fast growing population of the parish.

The church was originally constructed in the 1820’s on the site of the older thatched chapel. An extract from the Parochial History of Waterford and Lismore dated December 1912 stated that “The Church of Ballygunner is cruciform in plan, small in size and plain in style and has always been regarded as a model country church”. Although works have taken place over the years, the facilities needed to be modernised. The Architect, Tritschler Tritschler & Associates will however maintain the integrity of the existing building by minimising demolition works and restoring many of the existing historical features.

Martin Tritschler believes that the proposed works “will provide a modern, comfortable place of worship for the people of the parish of St. Joesph’s, St Benildus and St Mary’s Ballygunner, while at the same time retaining some historical features of the original church.”

The design team include Malone O’Regan (Structural Engineers), Sheridan Associates Chartered Engineers Ltd. (Mechanical & Electrical Engineers) and Healy Kelly Turner and Townsend (Quantity Surveyors). The church will be closed for the construction period with the aim to re-open for the Christmas Celebrations.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment