Great turn out for Mullinavat mission

John Woods and Michael Delahunty on their way the mission service in Mullinavat.

John Woods and Michael Delahunty on their way the mission service in Mullinavat.

Sean Maher reports

THE Vincentians order gave
a week long mission in the
churches of St Beacon and
St. Pauls in Mullinavat and
Bigwood recently. The two
churches saw great attendances
for morning and evening
church events.
The Vincentians can trace
their origins in Ireland back
to 1638, when a small group
of Irish men fl ed to France
to escape the persecution of
Catholics and joined Vincent
de Paul, then a priest who
was ministering to the poor
there. Later, in 1646 a small
group returned to Ireland to
help establish a religious community,
but they were quickly
forced to return to France
for fear of their lives due to
Cromwell’s siege of Limerick
in 1649.
When Catholic Emancipation
was achieved in 1829, a
group of four young men studying
together at St. Patrick’s
Maynooth came together “…to
form an institute which would
combine the advantages of
community life to preach missions
to the Irish Faithful and
educate them in their faith” by
1861 a number of missionaries
were sent to give the first
parish mission in Mullinavat.
150 years on and the Vincentian
Parish Mission Team
continues that pioneering spirit
of St. Vincent de Paul while
adapting parish missions to the
need of the 21st century.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment