Man accused of throwing petrol bomb granted bail

A MAN accused of throwing a petrol bomb into a house in Waterford in an attack that saw three children being hospitalized has been granted bail.
Ballybeg man Gregory Hennessy, a father-of-one, is charged in connection with the petrol bombing of a house that left a young girl (11) with severe burns after an attack at her grandmother’s house on Thursday, October 16th.
Mr Hennessy (23), whose address is with the court, appeared at Waterford District Court again last Tuesday charged with reckless endangerment by throwing a petrol bomb in through a sitting room window, “which created a substantial risk of death of serious harm to another”.
He is also charged with causing criminal damage, by fire, to the property and contents of the house, at 46 Ardmore Park in Ballybeg.
At the District Court two weeks ago, it emerged that Mr Hennessy did not have an address to supply to the court.
However, at the court again last week, Judge Kevin Staunton granted the accused bail on a €2000 bond and with conditions attached.
An armed unit, with up to five armed gardai, waited outside the courtroom while the brief hearing was held.
The charges against the accused arise from a petrol bomb attack at a house in Ballybeg on October 16th. little Roisin Halligan (11) has been hailed as a hero for throwing herself on top of her infant cousin Lexie, (1), in order to protect her from the flames after their grandmother Nellie Halligan’s house was petrol bombed in the incident.
The pair were sitting on the sofa at about 9.20pm when a petrol bomb was fired through the living room window at the house at Ardmore Park, in the local authority housing estate of Ballybeg.
The children were watching TV at the time and if it were not for the quick-thinking actions of Nellie – who rushed in with a fire extinguisher and tackled the blaze –, the pair could have been killed in the attack, it has been reported.
Roisin underwent skin grafts at Cork University Hospital and will have to get more – and while Lexie suffered some burns – her older cousin’s actions saved her from the same fate.
Infant William Halligan, aged just three months old, was in another room and had to be treated for smoke inhalation but his condition is also not serious.
Mr Hennessy, arrested, questioned and charged after the incident, was remanded in custody over two weeks ago after failing to get bail at the “Section Two Bail application” hearing.
It was requested that he be put in protective custody in prison, following an application at the initial sitting of court by his solicitor, Kenneth Cunningham.
The matter was put back from two weeks ago to appear again today. However, Mr Hennessy appeared at court last Tuesday instead and was granted bail.
Mr Cunningham told Judge Staunton that the State’s “objection to bail has been withdrawn”, while conditions “have been agreed”.
Reading from the conditions agreed, which were handed in to court, Judge Staunton said that Mr Hennessy must reside at the address supplied to the court, which is “acceptable to gardai”. The accused must sign on at Waterford garda station every Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 9am and 9pm.
He must also abide by a curfew from 10pm to 7am daily and not approach or interfere with any witnesses in the case and “in particular, with any member of the Halligan family”.
The accused will appear at the court again on November 25th.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.