Man Slashed With Knife Across the Neck

A man was slashed across the neck with a Stanley knife when a row erupted at an Easter Bank Holiday party, the Circuit Criminal Court was told in Waterford last week.

David Ahearne (29), with an address at Neptune House, Park Road, Waterford, was sentenced to three and a half years in prison, with the final six months suspended, when he pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to John Michael Lawlor and producing a knife capable of causing serious injury on April 9, 2012.

The court heard the incident occurred when the accused man and his partner were having a ‘lazy day’ in their apartment in Nepture House. A girl friend of his partner was invited over and they and the injured party were drinking and socialising in the flat.

The accused man began to act very strangely. He went into the bathroom and came out with lipstick on his face and bleach over his head. He became aggressive towards one of the females and a row erupted. The injured party intervened and the accused picked up a Stanley knife and slashed him cross the neck.

The Gardai were called to the apartment and following a search they discovered the accused man hiding behind a car in Scotch Quay. The knife was never recovered and he was arrested and taken to Waterford Garda Station.

In a victim impact report the injured man said he was attacked for no reason. He was admitted to hospital and suffered nightmares and was mentally, physically and emotionally affected by the slashing. The assault impacted on his relationship and he was undergoing counselling.

Barrister Brian O’Shea, defending, said his client claimed he was given pushes and nudges and was set upon. A native of Clonmel, he worked in Bulmers factory and had one son. While in prison he attended AA in respect of his alcohol problems.

Judge Pauline Codd said the row erupted against the background of excessive drinking and the injuries were substantial, leaving the injured man with a scar on his neck.

She noted that the accused had significant previous convictions for robbery, wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm, assault causing harm and burglary. After absconded to the UK, he was extradited on a European Arrest Warrant. The final six months of the sentence was suspended on condition he kept the peace for one year post release.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.