New boys get off the mark

Shane Rochford of Waterford Crystal gets in his shot at goal despite the close attention of St Joseph’s Franklin Tchiofo.

Shane Rochford of Waterford Crystal gets in his shot at goal despite the close attention of St Joseph’s Franklin Tchiofo.

Waterford Premier League

Waterford Crystal 0
St Joseph’s 1

Matt Keane
They may have left it late but St Joseph’s recorded their first ever victory in the Waterford Premier League at the RSC on Sunday last.
Following their excellent draw with champions Carrick United in midweek the Saints knew that this was a massive match against a team who had failed to take anything from their opening three games.
At times the play was tetchy and nervous but following the tension packed contest it was the newly promoted team who came out on top.
Shane Rochford went close on two occasions for Crystal during the opening quarter hour. He was just off target after four minutes following a right wing cross from Terry Krubu.
The same pair combined on 15 minutes but Rochford just failed to control the ball in front of goal.
Niall O’Toole then had an effort saved by Adam Deegan after 28 minutes and ten minutes later Niall O’Toole headed wide from a great position following a cross from Keith Sheridan. St Josephs’ first chance arrived on 41 minutes when Cein Chester picked out Noel Flynn from the right but the latter headed over the bar at the back post.
Derek Hearne in the Crystal goal then produced a stunning save from Noel Flynn just before the interval. Flynn let fly from 25 yards but somehow, Hearne managed to tip the ball over his crossbar.
Ten minutes into the second period Paul Smith had a glorious chance for the Saints but he shot straight at Derek Hearne from close range.
Niall O’Toole was guilty of another miss on 71 minutes after he raced on to a fine pass from Shane Rochford but he shot wide with only Adam Deegan to beat.
Deegan then denied Terry Krubu on 85 minutes as the home side began to pile on the pressure but almost beyond belief it was St Joseph’s who grabbed their historic goal four minutes into stoppage time.
James Starmer took a throw-in from the right side of the pitch. Cein Chester headed the ball into the six yard box and Chris Raymond was in the right place to crash the ball into the Waterford Crystal net.
Scenes of unbridled joy followed as the long wait for a win in the Premier League was over at long last.

Waterford Crystal: Derek Hearne; Niall Kirby, Ian Griffin, Richie Walsh, Jason Phelan; Keith Sheridan, Shane Rochford, Ian Barry, Ollie Murphy; Niall O’Toole, Treey Krubu
Substitutes: Eoghan O’Toole for Niall Kirby (63 mins) and Konclwansi Nuuska for Shane Rochford (82).
St Joseph’s: Adam Deegan; Paul Hammond, Billy Ryan, Chris Raymond, David Flynn; Jack Maher, Franklin Tchiofo, Johnny Kelly, Cein Chester; Paul Smith, Noel Flynn.
Substitutes: Emmet O’Toole for Johnny Kelly (46 mins), James Starmer for Noel Flynn (46) and James Manning for Jack Maher (66).
Referee: Noel Purcell.
Assistants: John Falconer and Richie Brazil.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.