Bit-o-Red defeat battling Blues

Cormac Breslin sets up another attack for the Blues against Sligo Rovers

Cormac Breslin sets up another attack for the Blues against Sligo Rovers

Sligo Rovers, a team who are expected to feature big time in the Premier League this season, scored two late goals to put an impressive looking final score on their game with Waterford United at the RSC on Friday evening last.

Slowly but surely the Blues team is taking shape and this latest outing will have proved valuable to manager Tommy Griffin.

The next home pre-season game will be at home to Longford Town on Friday, February 27th and the following week the season will get underway with an opening league game against Athlone Town.

Blues keeper Matthew Connor came to his sides rescue with a fine save on nine minutes when Nielsen played the ball out to the right for Kevin Devaney but his brilliantly struck low right-footed shot was superbly turned at the posts.

The visitors did get their noses in front less than 60 seconds later when David Cawley did well out on the right side to put the ball into the area for Dinny Corcoran, who turned magnificently before firing past keeper Connor from just inside the penalty area.

Connor was called back into action to make a very smart save to deny Sligo Rovers their second goal on 25 minutes when Sander Puri broke from midfield before letting fly with a low right-footed that saw the netminder dive to his right to claw the ball away for a fruitless corner kick.

The Blues had a half chance through Shane Nolan shortly afterwards but he failed to really trouble Rovers keeper Ryan Coulter.

Glenn Hawe created the first chance of the second period within three minutes of the restart when he got behind the Sligo defence but his shot was well held by Ryan Coulter.

Danny Ledwith went close to adding a second goal for the visitors on 55 minutes when the full back got on the end of a Kevin Devaney corner but he whistled a cracking shot from the edge of the area over the bar before Matthew Connor did well to hold a Stephen Folan header three minutes later.

With changes aplenty on both sides in the second half, the home side carved out another opening on 70 minutes when Shane Nolan saw his effort from the edge of the area blocked into the path of Anthony McAlevey but his effort was saved.

Glenn Hawe went agonisingly close to levelling the tie 60 seconds later but his stunning effort from 30 yards struck the top of the crossbar.

The visitors stretched their lead on 72 minutes when Eoin Wearen powered home a Keith Ward right-wing cross.

Blues keeper Robert Birdsall, who replaced Matthew Connor gifted the visitors their third goal two minutes from time when he failed to deal with an effort from Keith Ward and Morten Nielsen, the former Chelsea striker was on hand to fire home the loose ball to ensure a three goals success for his side.

Waterford United: Matthew Connor (Robert Birdsall ‘61), Dean Reidy, Anthony O’ Donnell, Craig Burns (Shane Mackey ‘61), Shane Dineen (Dylan Mernagh ‘46), Brian .Nolan (Aaron O’Connor ‘46), Bobbi Donoghue (Ross Fitzpatrick ‘88), Anthony McAlevey,Greg Peel (Willie John Kiely ‘46), Shane. Nolan (Cormac Breslin ‘72) Glen ,Hawe.
Sligo Rovers: Ryan Coulter,Alan Keane (Gary Boylan ‘72),Stephen Folan,Jake Dykes,Daniel Ledwith,Kevin Devaney (Raffaele Cretaro ‘61), David Cawley,John Russell (Steven Beattie ‘61),Sander Puri (Keith Ward ‘61), Morten Nielsen,Dinny Corcoran (Eoin Wearen ‘63)

Referee: Jim McKell (Tipperary)

Matt Keane

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments are closed.