Ferrybank Edge Past Depleted Piltown

The Ferrybank team who reached the final of the Under-16 cup.

The Ferrybank team who reached the final of the Under-16 cup.

Ferrybank – 1
Piltown – 0

Ferrybank enjoyed a narrow victory in the Village Grounds against a battling Piltown team who had to play for a lot of the game with just ten players.

The South Kilkenny outfit lost their goalkeeper through injury after half an hour and as they had only eleven registered on the match card they had to replace Hollie O’Shea with an outfield player.

Having said, that Hollie’s replacement, Laura Hallissey did remarkably well in between the posts for the remainder of the match.

Piltown took up the running from the outset and it took a fine tackle from Aisling Flynn to keep Bethany Carroll at bay after two minutes of play.

The Piltown goalkeeper Hollie O’Shea did get her hands to the ball Hollie O’Shea produced a remarkable save from Aoife Slattery two minutes Matt Keane reports later. Slattery rose high to meet a corner kick taken by Hannah Pugh but the visiting custodian somehow managed to keep the ball out of her net.

Alanna Nolan scored the only goal of the game on 23 minutes and it was a strike to grace any game. She unleashed a right footed shot from 35 yards and although Hollie O’Shea did get her hands to the ball it carried too much power and the ball nestled in the roof of the Piltown net. Two minutes later Bethany Carroll almost equalised but the home goalkeeper Cliona Murphy produced an excellent save.

The injured Piltown goalkeeper Hollie O’Shea is helped from the pitch.

The injured Piltown goalkeeper Hollie O’Shea is helped from the pitch.

Hollie O’Shea was then carried off injured after hurting herself trying to clear a Ferrybank attack and from then of the Piltown outfit had a mountain to climb with just ten players and one of their strikers now being used in goal.

Just before the interval the new netminder saved superbly from the goalscorer Alanna Nolan. The host side should have doubled their advantage early in the second half but Hannah Pugh pulled her effort wide in front of goal.

Rachel Sutton then had a snap shot saved by Laura Hallissey shortly afterwards. Piltown went close on 53 minutes when Bethany Carroll tried her luck from just outside the box but she missed the intended target by inches. Laura Hallissey produced another fine save after 65 minutes from Ferrybank’s Rachel Sutton.

The replacement keeper then denied Aoife Slattery on 68 minutes.

Slattery made contact with a corner kick taken by Rachel Sutton but Laura Hallissey once again displayed a safe pair of gloves.

There was almost a sting in the tale in stoppage time when Piltown’s Aisling Carroll got free out on the right and she lobbed the ball towards the Ferrybank goal. It sailed over the head of goalkeeper Cliona Murphy but unfortunately the ball also sailed narrowly over the crossbar. It was a fantastic effort by the depleted Piltown team but following the 70 minutes it was the home side who booked their midweek fi nal date against Tramore.

FERRYBANK: Cliona Murphy, Roisin Cleary, Aoife Clooney, Aisling Flynn, Ciara Phelan, Aoife Slattery, Nicola English, Alanna Nolan, Sarah McDaid, Rachel Sutton, Hanah Pugh, Eilis Clooney, Sophie Morrissey, Tanya Morrissey.

PILTOWN: Hollie O’Shea, Shauna Coady, Ciara Whelan, Emily McCarthy, Sine Kavanagh, Aoibheann Kavanagh, Samiea Fitzpatrick, Bethane Carroll, Imelda Morrissey, Laura Hallissey.

REFEREE: Tony Lacey.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.