Honours Even at Fraher Field

County Senior Football Championship Group B

An Rinn 0-07
Kilrossanty 0-07

The two sides who lost out in last year’s Senior Football Championship had to settle for a share of the spoils at Fraher Field.
What had been billed in the build-up as the big match of this year’s opening round of games proved to be a disappointing affair and both sides will know that if they are to break the dominance of the big three in the Championship, they’re going to have to show a marked improvement on this.
Both sides started short a number of regular first team players because of injury and when An Rinn lost another of their most influential players, Tadhg Ó hUallacháin after just six minutes with a facial injury, their odds on victory lengthened.
Donie Breathnach opened the scoring with a point for An Rinn on eight minutes, but it was cancelled out with an effort from Jack Whyte four minutes later.
On nineteen minutes for those around long enough to remember it there was a re-enactment of one of Geoff Hurst’s goals from the 1966 World Cup Final at Wembley as James Whyte crashed the ball off the underside of the An Rinn crossbar.

Kilrossanty's Martin Dunne in surrounded by An Rinn's Cathal Ó Cuirrín and Ferdia Ó hAodha at Fraher Field on Sunday last.				| Photos: Sean Byrne

Kilrossanty's Martin Dunne in surrounded by An Rinn's Cathal Ó Cuirrín and Ferdia Ó hAodha at Fraher Field on Sunday last. | Photos: Sean Byrne

The ball bounced back out to safety, with the umpires at the country end of the ground adamant that the ball did not cross the line.
An Rinn immediately attacked upfield after this let-off, with Donie Breathnach pointing well.
Liam Ó Lonáin added a further point for An Rinn after 25 minutes, but Kilrossanty would finish the half the stronger of the two sides as Donal Fitzgerald, Joey Veale from a free and another from Fitzgerald landed scores to give Kilrossanty a 0-4 to 0-3 lead at the break.
Former inter county players Niall Walsh and Liam Ó Lonáin swapped scores in the first minute of the second half and two minutes later, veteran goalkeeper Darren Mulhearne made an excellent save from a Conor Mac Diarmada effort.
Donie Breathnach levelled matters with what looked a dubious score on forty two minutes and five minutes later Padraig Ó Murchadha gave his side the lead, but it was a short lived one as Donal Fitzgerald who was Kilrossanty’s best player on the night quickly equalised.
With 10 minutes remaining, Liam Ó Lonáin laid the ball across the Kilrossanty goal and with Darren Mulhearne beaten, the ball would not come down fast enough for Fearghal Ó Ceallaigh to get a good touch on it and his fist flick went to the left of the upright as he looked odds on to goal.
Niall Walsh gave his side the lead three minutes from time, but one minute from the end of normal time Donie Breathnach successfully converted a free to ensure a share of the spoils.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment