Kilmacthomas Storm Into the Top Flight

County Intermediate Football Final

Kilmacthomas 2-13
Modeligo 1-14

Brian Flannery Reports

A storming second half display propelled Kilmacthomas to a county intermediate football title and with it a return to senior ranks.Played at the excellent St. Mollerans GAA grounds at Carrickbeg in difficult conditions both teams produced some fine football with Kilmac’s better finishing proving the difference.Western champions Modeligo had much the better of proceedings in the opening half taking a 1-8 to 1-4 half-time advantage. However Kilmacthomas regrouped at the interval and were much better during the second period and were good value for their victory.
Modeligo made all the early running and led 0-4 to 0-1 by the ninth minute. The Kilmac men got a timely boost when John Cleary converted a penalty to the net after Darragh Power was up-ended on route to goal, 1-1 to 0-4 with 10 minutes elapsed. Modeligo by this stage was dominating possession and when Tom Devine found Michael Troy unmarked to fist the ball to the net after 20 minutes Modeligo deservedly led 1-7 to 1-3.Modeligo suffered a blow with Tom Devine having to retire injured while Kilmac’s Dylan Power also limped out of action. Darragh Power and Shane Troy exchanged points

The Modeligo team that contested the county intermediate football final

The Modeligo team that contested the county intermediate football final

Eoin Walsh and Pa Walsh traded white flaggers immediately on resumption. With 35 minutes on the clock Kilmac’s chances increased significantly when Darragh Power sent a bullet like drive to the top corner of the net to reduce the margin to the minimum, 1-9 to 2-5. Michael Troy and Darragh Power both added points before Jamie Troy extended Modeligo’s lead to two points with 20 minutes remaining.The tide was turning sky blue in favour of the men from Kilmac and points from Alan Fitzsimons, David Hallahan (2) and Eoin Walsh (2) had Kilmac leading by two points 2-10 to 1-11 with only 10 minutes remaining.Kilmac had the bit between their teeth now and were not going to be denied. Darragh Power added three late frees to keep the scoreboard ticking for the eventual winners and despite late points from Shane and Michael Troy, Kilmacthomas held out for a deserved victory. Manager Benji Whelan leading the celebrations at full-time for a large and delighted Kilmac support.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment