Nire Inspire in Limerick

Munster Senior ClubFootball Quarter-Final

The Nire 1-18
Adare 0-12

The Nire eased into a Munster Senior Club Football semi-final against St Joseph’s Miltown Malbay on Sunday next with a comprehensive win over 14-man Adare at the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick last Sunday.The Nire always led in this game with nine of the starting XV on the scoresheet by half-time. This was a clinical display from the Waterford champions, who were on top long before Adare’s Aodhan O’Sullivan was sent off for a second yellow card. Tom Barron was superb at both ends of the pitch and in truth his goal in first half injury time effectively ended this game as a contest as the Waterford champions stretched their lead to nine points. Shane Walsh contributed four points from play while Conor Gleeson added three points before he was replaced by Ciaran Walsh in the 52nd minute. Dick Guiry made just one change to the team that lined out in the county final with Shane O’Meara coming in for Dermot Ryan.Dylan Guiry won the toss and the Nire attacked the Ennis Road end. Shane Walsh’s first effort was waved wide by the umpires but eventually the white flag was raised. Conor Gleeson added the Nire’s second point and Tholom Guiry made it three with just six minutes gone.

Shane Walsh led the way for The Nire with four points from play at the Gaelic Grounds. Photo: Sean Byrne

Shane Walsh led the way for The Nire with four points from play at the Gaelic Grounds. Photo: Sean Byrne

Adare got on the scoresheet when midfielder Stephen Keeley put over their first point.The Bourke brothers, Robbie and Hugh both hit the metalwork before Hugh Bourke converted a free.
Craig Guiry and Conor Gleeson restored the Nire’s three point lead before Robbie Bourke nailed a 45 metre free at the end of the first quarter (0-5 to 0-3).An accidental clash between Gleeson and Carmody resulted in an injury stoppage and on the resumption the Nire kicked four points in a row from Shane Ryan (2), Darren Guiry (free) and a Diarmuid Murphy free from 55 metres to leave the Nire six points ahead, (0-9 to 0-3). Adare only managed a Hugh Bourke free during a poor second quarter. A Jamie Barron point in injury time was followed by a blistering finish from his younger brother. Charlie McCarthy fisted the ball harmlessly into Murphy and The Nire took it from there. Jamie Barron, Darren Guiry and Shane Ryan were all involved before Tom Barron rifled to the far corner past Carmody (1-10 to 0-4).

Conal Mulcahy came on for David Meehan as the second half got under way while Adare made two changes.The Limerick champions had a chance early in the second half but Robbie Bourke’s fierce shot took a deflection off Thomas O’Gorman as it flew over the crossbar. The Nire found scores much easier to come by. Walsh, Darren Guiry and Gleeson widened the gap to eleven.
The home side needed a goal and Murphy denied David Connolly. The corner back settled for a point. It was all over for the Limerick champions when Aodhan O’Connor was sent off for a hand trip on James McGrath.With the clock ticking down Conor Gleeson found Shane Walsh with a brilliant pass and Walsh duly fired over his third point of the match.
With the game won Dick Guiry was able to empty his bench. Ciaran Walsh replaced Conor Gleeson with nine minutes to go while Shane Walsh added his fourth point before he was replaced by Kenny Brazil.This was a very impressive display from a well-balanced Nire side. They will face tougher tasks in this competition but their desire for victory and superb work rate will stand to them when they face St Joseph’s on Sunday next.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment