Rathgormack survive stiff test in local SFC derby

Kilrossanty\'s Charlie Foley is tackled by Rathgormack\'s Richie Power during their Senior Football Championship match in Kilmacthomas. | Photo Sean Byrne

Kilrossanty's Charlie Foley is tackled by Rathgormack's Richie Power during their Senior Football Championship match in Kilmacthomas. | Photo Sean Byrne

Rathgormack 0-9; Kilrossanty 0-5

??? View Photos

There was a good deal at stake when neighbours Rathgormack and Kilrossanty clashed in Kilmacthomas last Saturday afternoon.

Victory and deservedly so went Rathgormack’s way. It was a typical local derby, rich in endeavour, and tenacious tackling at both ends of the field, but it wasn’t quite the plain sailing that the scoreline might otherwise suggest.

Former Kilmacthomas player Anthony Power gave them the lead from a free in the ninth minute; two minutes later Paul Hayes added another from play, and when Power pointed again in the 12th minute, Rathgormack had still to score.

On the quarter-hour mark however, they finally got their first score. Full-forward Robbie Power set up by Victor O’Shea duly obliging, but Alan Quinn quickly replied to restore the three-point gap after 22 minutes.

To their credit, Rathgormack whose first half wides tally came to six, did mange to finish the period well, and rounded off with a brace of points from Edmund Hogan and Paddy Crotty to leave the minimum separating the teams at the break.

After the break, Rathgormack enjoyed the better of proceedings, and levelled matters through an Edmund Hogan free. After 43 minutes, Hogan kicked Rathgormack ahead, and O’Shea added a further point three minutes later.

Rathgormack’s outfield dominance wasn’t fully reflected where it matters most, even though Edmund Hogan pointed again in the 55th minute.

Anthony Power came up with Kilrossanty’s lone second half point and in the process bridging a 34-minute wait since their previous score.

Late points from Robbie Power in the final couple of minutes signed, sealed and delivered a well-merited four-point victory.

Rathgormack’s win ensures that they their current stint in the top flight reaches its 25th consecutive season next year.

Kilrossanty’s defeat means that they must ace the gauntlet against fellow parishioners John Mitchell’s in a make or break relegation showdown, the losers of which must make the drop as a consequence.

Rathgormack: Donal Larkin, Paudie Larkin, Tony Power, Michael Crotty, Paul Power, Paul Shankey, Jamie Kirwan, Victor O’Shea, Richard Power, Mervyn Cummins, Paddy Crotty, Martin Whelan, Edmund Hogan, Robbie Power, Darragh Kelly. Subs: John Crotty for P Power, Frannie Halpin for D Kelly, Paudie Whelan for F Halpin.

Scorers: Edmund Hogan (0-4), Robbie Power (0-3), Paddy Crotty and Victor O’Shea (0-1 each).

Kilrossanty: Darren Mulhearne, Conor Hayes, Jimmy Collender, Paul Lannon, Niall Walsh, Tommy Prendergast, Ciaran Keating, Stephen Prendergast, Anthony Power, Paul Hayes, Oisin Doyle, Alan Quinn, Colin Dee , Joey Veale, David Power. Subs: Charlie Foley for E Collender, Jay Kirwan for C Foley, Brian Lannon for C Dee.

Scorers: Anthony Power (0-3), Paul Hayes and Alan Quinn (0-1 each).

Referee: Tommy O’Sullivan (Cappoquin).

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment