Spoils shared after excellent tussle at Lemybrien

Come back here! Rathgormack\'s Paddy Crotty gets to grips with An Rinn\'s Darach Breathnach in their County Senior Football match at Lemybrien on Saturday. Sean Byrne Photography

Come back here! Rathgormack's Paddy Crotty gets to grips with An Rinn's Darach Breathnach in their County Senior Football match at Lemybrien on Saturday. Sean Byrne Photography

Rathgormack . . . 1-9; Rinn ogCuanach . . . 1-9

[View photos]

This well-contested fixture at Lembyrien on Saturday deservedly ended with both teams having something to their name at the end of a game which featured several phases of excellent football.

The net outcome means the Gaeltacht side remains unbeaten, having finished all square with Clashmore in the opening round, while the Eastern outfit who lost narrowly to Ardmore last time out, will be glad to get off the group table’s basement.

There was little to separate these teams throughout an end-to-end first half with Rinn leading by 1-5 to 0-7; the goal registered after just four minutes.

Following Liam O’Lionain’s opening point; a speculative delivery from Micheal O’Toibin was misjudged by Rathgormack goalkeeper Brendan Crotty and ended up in the back of the net.

But Rathgormack responded well and by the 14th minute they were level thanks to points from man of the match Edmond Hogan (2), John Kirwan and Richie Power.

But the Gaeltacht side soon reasserted their initial dominance, and with their attack upping the tempo they soon went back in front again and led by three points after 25 minutes.

But back came Rathgormack again and reduced the deficit to the minimum in a three minute spell, with points from Kevin Power (free), and another from play by namesake Richie.

O’Lionain and Hogan subsequently swapped points of exceptional vintage before the half-time whistle was sounded.

On the resumption, Rathgormack enjoyed a purple patch and Hogan continued to catch the eye. By the 39th minute, Hogan had scored another couple of points, and Richie Power had also added to their total to put them ahead for the first time.

Some wayward shooting denied Rathgormack the possibility of going further in front, and it was a relieved Gaeltacht following which greeted an urgently required Cian O’Conchur point in the 42nd minute.

Points from Hogan (who fired home Rathgormack’s second half goal) and Micheal O hOgain in the 43rd and 52nd minutes respectively undoubtedly set the scene for a grandstand finish, and not a solitary onlooker left the scene until it was finally resolved.

The former champions led by a point and had chances to extend their advantage before Micheal O’Dunaigh secured the all-important equalising point for the Gaeltacht colours in the 59th minute.

Teams and Scorers

Rathgormack: Brendan Crotty, John Crotty, Tony Power, Michael Crotty, Padraig Larkin, Paul Shankey, Victor O’Shea, Richie Power (0-2), Mervyn Cummins, John Kirwan (0-1), Paddy Crotty, Kevin Power (0-1), Edmund Hogan (1-5), Martin Whelan, Robbie Power. Sub: Michael Sexton for M. Cummins.

Rinn ogCuanach: Tomas O’Cadhla, Sean O’hArtaigh, Cillian O’Murchadha, Sean O’Cuirrin, Eoghan Breathnach, Darach Breathnach, Liam de Gras, Liam O’Lionain (0-2), Nodlaig O’Murchadha, Micheal O’Toibin (1-3), Micheal O’Murchadha, Micheal O’Dunaigh (0-3), Padraig O’Murchadha, Cian O’Conchuir (0-1), Ciaran O’Mannachain. Fir Ionaid: Stiofan de Brun for S O’Cuirrin, Liam O’Cuirrin for C O’Mannachain.

Referee: Tadgh O’Broin (Rogha Eireann).

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment