Abbeyside win seaside derby

Stradballys Michael Walsh is tackled by his county team-mate, Abbeysides Gary Hurney during their SHC first-round tie in Fraher Field.



Abbeyside 1-13; Stradbally 2-8

■□■ View Photos

If Abbeyside are to achieve their aim of annexing the county title they will have to do something they did not do when they played Stradbally in the first of Sunday’s double header at Fraher Field – play hurling for sixty minutes-plus in every game.

At the break last year’s beaten finalists were trailing by two clear goals and were not playing well and discipline was also a concern. Ever before the first score came referee Maurice Condon had to speak to three players. Two even had the black book flashed in their direction before the game started.

The first score of the game came about from a free struck in unorthodox fashion by Shane Ahearne. Laurence Hurney soon had the sides on level term before Stradbally went back in front with points from John Coffey and Shane Ahearne.

The first goal of the game came on the quarter-hour mark. A long delivery from Michael Walsh found its way to Stephen Cunningham – who was believed to be out of reckoning beforehand – and he put the ball past Daryl Ryan in the Abbeyside goal. Patrick Hurney and Shane Ahearne (2) then exchanged points.

Stradbally’s second goal of the game came with three minutes of the half remaining. Tony Grey out on the left hand side of the field laid the ball off to Shane Ahearne who in turn found Stephen Cunningham who for the second time in the space of 13 minutes put the sliotar past Daryl Ryan.

Mark Gorman added a point for Abbeyside with two minutes remaining and with time just about up Gary Hurney hit the Stradbally crossbar with a piledriver. The dropping ball in a crowded goal found its way to a Stradbally defender who in turn lost it and Patrick Hurney was on hand to point for Abbeyside.





The start of the second half was totally dominated by Abbeyside who were now playing with a powerful wind that flew towards the road goal. Mark Gorman, Richie Foley (2), Eoin Enright and John Gorman had the Stradbally lead cut to the minimum inside six minutes of the restart. Shane Ahearne pointed a free in the eight minute of the second half for Stradbally to put two points between the teams.

However, the lead was to be soon wiped out. On 40 minutes Laurence Hurney laid off a beautiful crossfield ball to his younger brother Gary, who used his strength to run at the Stradbally defence and send a powerfully driven shot past Trevor Curran.

The last quarter of an hour saw little to shout about. Shane and John Ahearne added points for Stradbally while Mark Gorman (2) and Mark Ferncombe registered for last year’s beaten finalists, who at the sound of the full time whistle were 1-13 to 2-8 to the good.

Abbeyside: D Ryan; T Murray, R Foley, G Breen; E Enright, P Lynch, S Briggs; J Hurney, S O’Hare; P Hurney, L Hurney, M Gorman; J Gorman, G Hurney, M Ferncombe.

Scorers: M Gorman 0-4, G Hurney 1-0, M Ferncombe, P Hurney, R Foley (0-2 each), L Hurney, E Enright, J Gorman (0-1 each),

Stradbally: T Curran; K Coffey, E Rocket, T Walsh; P Doyle, J Coffey, A Doyle; M Walsh, J Hearne; T. Grey, S Ahearne, S Cunningham; N Curran, G Power, O Costello.

Scorers: S Ahearne 0-6, S Cunningham 2-0, J Coffey, J Ahearne 0-1 each.

Referee: M Condon (Clashmore).

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment