An Rinn Swoop to Claim “C” Title

County Junior C Hurling Final ‘18

An Rinn 0-13
Dunhill 0-11

Tony Ryan Reports

An Rinn maintained their recent improvement in form to claim the County Junior ‘C’ hurling final against pre match favourites Dunhill at the Fraher Field last Sunday morning.
Dunhill’s Darragh Veale opened the scoring after just 18 seconds which was replied to by An Rinn’s centre forward Ciaran Ó Tóibín two minutes later.
Michael Casey gave Dunhill the lead for the last time as early as the sixth minute as An Rinn’s defence particularly came to terms with their opponents.
O Toibin was the only other scorer in the first quarter when he rifled over three points of different varieties to give An Rinn a 0-4 to 0-2 lead .
Scores by Corey De Róiste and Jack Ó Lonáin in the 20th and in the 21st minutes respectively increased this advantage before John Walsh (via a free) scored Dunhill’s first point in 20 minutes, their last of the first half.

Dunhill's Gearoid Murphy tussles with An Rinn's Ciarán Tóibín. Photo by Sean Byrne

Dunhill's Gearoid Murphy tussles with An Rinn's Ciarán Tóibín. Photo by Sean Byrne

Two further Dunhill efforts came back off the upright before Ciarán Ó Tóibín (another free) registered his fifth minor to leave his side 0-4 to the good at the break.
Ó Tóibín (a free) opened the second half scoring before Dunhill began a fine comeback that eventuall y brought them back on level terms.
Kal Wilmot and Michael Casey pointed from play in the 34th and 36th minutes respectively before Corey De Roiste settled An Rinn with his second score (0-9 to 0-5).
An Rinn scoffed a 43rd minute goal chance before Ciarán Tóibín (a free) made it a double score game with his seventh and final score of the match at the end of the third quarter.
For the first time in the game Dunhill threatened and they scored five unanswered points between the 47th and the 53rd minutes.
Midfielder Killian O’Connell began this sequence , John Walsh added a 49th minute pointed free and Jack Ó hArtaigh in the An Rinn goal did very well to save an attempt by Jamie Burns at the expense of a point (0-10 to 0-8).

Dunhill continued their comeback against a powerless An Rinn and when Michael Casey lofted over a brace of fine points from play in the 53rd minute, it looked as if Dunhill would go on to take the title. Ciaran Ó Tóibín was wide with a 55th minute free but it was from this point onwards that Jack Ó Lonáin thundered into the game.
He began with a contender for score of the match in the 56th minute before Dunhill failed to reply twice by the end of normal time. In added time Jack Ó Lonáin won possession twice himself and he soloed into scoring positions which he completed in style to ensure the cup was heading out to An Rinn.
Dunhill midfielder Jamie Ryan had the final score of the day in the 64th minute but that proved too late to deny An Rinn the honours.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment