Déise draw another Aughrim blank

Wicklow 2-14 Waterford 0-12

Despite a gutsy performance Waterford were beaten by Wicklow in division four of the National Football League in Aughrim.

Despite a gutsy performance Waterford were beaten by Wicklow in division four of the National Football League in Aughrim.

The final score in this game played at Aughrim on Sunday afternoon last does not do justice to Waterford.

Waterford travelled to the Garden County probably more in expectation that anything else but they can consider themselves somewhat unlucky to have come away empty handed.

Niall Carew’s charges had Tony Grey sent off on a black card shortly before the break and it proved to be the turning point of the game as the Stradbally club man was arguably the stand out player on the field up to the time he was ordered off.

Earlier in the game, Waterford lost Paul Whyte with an injury and his loss proved to be a huge blow for Waterford even if his replacement, fellow Kilrossanty club man Tommy Prendergast was to make a telling contribution to this game.

Wicklow started very brightly, with Leighton Glynn hitting the first score of the game on two minutes which was added to with efforts from Conor McGraynor, Seanie Furlong and Darren Hayden.

Waterford’s first score of the game came on 18 minutes when the impressive Shane Ahern pointed. That score was quickly followed with an effort from Paul Whyte.

Tony Grey and Pat McWalter swapped scores in the 26th and 28th minutes before the Stradbally man added his second a minute later.

The home side were not playing as well as they would have liked and kicked the next two scores through Seanie Furlong to give them a double score advantage with the break looming.

With the game entering stoppage time at the end of the first half Wicklow sent in a long ball which was won by the industrious Seanie Furlong who laid it off to Seanie Furlong. He was pulled down inside the box by Tony Grey and the referee had no hesitation in dismissing the Stradbally man on a black card and in awarding a penalty.

Leighton Glynn took too the kick but from 12 metres he blasted wide to give Waterford much hope for the second half even if they went to the dressing rooms trailing 0-8 to 0-4.

The third quarter proved to be a tough fought battle where both sides enjoyed short periods where they were on top.

Shane Ahern kicked the first score of the second half from a free but it was followed with points from Darren Hayden and Rory Finn.

Ahern hit his second of the half on forty minutes which was followed up with efforts from JJ Hutchinson and Liam O Lonáin ten minutes after the restart to leave just two between the sides.

Seanie Furlong extended Wicklow’s lead to three but efforts from JJ Hutchinson and Shane Ahern soon had one between the sides and it was looking as though Waterford, not for the first time this year, were going to upset the fancied team.

However, they say goals win games and so it proved to be.

Another long ball into the Waterford defence caused problems for the Waterford backs as it was won by Seanie Furlong who beat Stephen Enright in the Waterford goal.

Kevin Murphy hit two points in a row which gave the home side a 1-13 to 0-10 advantage, but Waterford were still well in contention.

A second Wicklow goal followed for Seanie Furlong which gave the home side a nine point cushion and it was added to with an effort from Aaron Murphy.

Waterford however finished marginally the stronger of the two sides as they kicked scores from Michael O’Gorman and Shane Ahern to leave eight between the sides at the finish.

Wicklow: R Lambert; C Hyland, D Power, A Byrne; K Murphy, P McWalter, D Healy; A McLoughlin, N Gaffney, R Finn, P Earls, D Hayden; L Glynn, S Furlong, C McGraynor.

Subs: J Stafford for C McGraynor, P Cunningham for P Earls,
A Murphy for D Healy, M Staines for A Byrne, M Kenny for S Furlong.

Scorers: S Furlong (2-4; 0-2 frees), K Murphy, P McWalter, D Hayden (0-2 each), R Finn, L Glynn, C McGraynor (Free), P Cunningham (0-1 each).

Waterford: S Enright; D Crowley, T O’Gorman, C Connery; O Keevers, S Briggs, T Ó hUallachain; W Hutchinson, P Whyte; T Grey, L Ó Lonáin, C O’Keeffe, JJ Hutchinson, S Ahearn, B Wall.

Subs: T Prendergast for P Whyte, M O’Gorman for T Grey (Black Card), N Walsh for W Hutchinson, L Ó Curraoin for C O’Keeffe, J Hayden for T Ó hUallachain.

Scorers: S Ahearn (0-5; 4 frees), T Grey, JJ Hutchinson (0-2 each), P Whyte, L Ó Lonáin, M O’Gorman 0-1.

Referee: D Maher (Westmeath).

Thomas Keane

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.