Second Half Collapse Scuppers Deisemen

CORK 1-21

WATERFORD’S miserable record at the Intermediate grade continued when succumbing to Cork by six points in last Sunday’s curtain raiser at Semple Stadium. With 11 minutes gone in the second half Waterford led by three points but amazingly they collapsed between there and the fi nal whistle with Cork hitting 10 unanswered points to run out comfortable winners. The Leesiders hit 22 scores in all to Waterford’s 12 over the 60 minutes confi rming their general superiority in as game that rarely rose above mediocre. Cork’s impressive sharp shooter Peter O’Brien had 2 points on the board in the opening three minutes with Waterford senior panelist Killian Fitzgerald replying with a point from a free. On seven minutes, Waterford goalkeeper Seanie Barry committed ‘hari kari’ when he was dispossessed, with Cork full-forward Jamie Wall fi nishing the loose ball to the back of the unguarded Déise net. Almost immediately from the puck out Tommy Connors had his snap shot well saved but the vigilant Ryan Donnelly was on hand to fi nish the rebound to the back of the Cork net. It got even better after 10 minutes when Ryan Donnelly placed his club colleague Gavin Crotty through to hit Waterford’s second goal and put his team 2-1 to 1-2 ahead. Peter O’Brien again replied with a pointed free for Cork from close range. Killian Fitzgerald hit his and Waterford’s fi rst point from play with a monster effort from inside his own half. Two more frees from Peter O’Brien and a smart point from Jamie Wall had Cork back in front again (1-6 to 2-2) after 18 minutes. Another Killian Fitzgerald pointed free put Waterford back on level terms before Cork half back Cormac Murphy scored a fabulous point on 20 minutes to push his side back in front by the minimum. Seamus Keating, who operated in midfi eld from the start, hit a point from a diffi cult angle under the old stand to level the sides for a fourth time. Cork did hit two further points from play in fi rst half injury time to leave Corcaigh leading 1-9 to 2-4 at half-time. A pair of early second half frees from Killian Fitzgerald was matched by points from Colm Casey and John Cronin for Cork. Tommy Connors, running at the Cork defence, placed an unmarked Ryan Donnelly for his second and Waterford’s third goal after 38 minutes putting the Déise back into the lead (3-6 to 1-11). Killian Fitzgerald had another point from play on 40 minutes although it looked suspiciously wide. Tallow’s Thomas Ryan quiet for most of the game hit one of the scores of the game after 41 minutes with a beautiful point from the shadows of the new stand. Waterford led 3-8 to 1-11 at this stage but remarkably didn’t score again until close to full-time. Cork hit 10 points in a row, seven from the outstanding Peter O’Brien as they completely overran a fading Waterford. The vanquished’s last score came from a Killian Fitzgerald free on 58 minutes leaving the fi nal score reading 1-21 to 3-9 in favour of the Rebels. For Waterford Colm Burke, Killian Fitzgerald and Ryan Donnelly all enhanced their reputations in a competition that we continue to struggle with year after year.

WATERFORD: Seanie Barry; Colm Burke, Mark Wyse, Shane Roche; Jason Roche, Kieran Power, Pa Walsh; Seamus Keating, Stephen Roche; Killian Fitzgerald, Gavin Crotty, Mícheál Harney; Tommy Connors, Ryan Donnelly, Thomas Ryan. SUBSTITUTES: Stephen Power for Seamus Keating (ht), Barry O’Sullivan for Stephen Roche (36mins), Jack Lyons for Stephen Power (50) and Mark O’Brien for Mícheál Harney (53). SCORERS: Killian Fitzgerald (0-7; 0-5f), Ryan Donnelly (2-0), Gavin Grotty (1-0), Seamus Keating and Thomas Ryan (0-1 each). CORK: Richie Cunningham; Barra Ó Tuama, Alan Dennehy, John O’Callaghan; Cormac Murphy, Ross Cashman, Michael Walsh; Nicky Kelly, John Cronin; Barry Lawton, Peter O’Brien, Michael O’Sullivan; Colm Casey, Jamie Wall, Mark Kene ck. SUBSTITUTES: Colm Spillane for Mark Kene ck (40 mins), Tadhg Healy for Ross Cashman (42) and Ronan Crowley for Barry Lawton (51). SCORERS: Pater O’Brien (0-13; 0-7f, 0-1 65’), Jamie Wall (1-1), Colm Casey (0-2), Cormac Murphy, John Cronin, Michael O’Sullivan, Colm Spillane and Ronan Crowley (0-1 each). REFEREE: Declan O’Driscoll (Limerick).

Brian Flannery

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.