Demoralising defeat for Park

Rugby; Munster Junior League Division 1

Waterpark 7
Newcastle West 40

It was not a good day for Waterpark at Ballinakill last Saturday as they suffered a heavy defeat to Newcastle West

It was not a good day for Waterpark at Ballinakill last Saturday as they suffered a heavy defeat to Newcastle West

For a team struggling to maintain their status in Division 1 of the Munster Junior League and where every point and bonus points (winning or losing) in every game are vital, Waterpark seem to be blessed with a very giving nature towards the opposition, which they demonstrated in spades against Newcastle West in Ballinakill on Sunday last, as throughout this game they gifted the visitors tries, easy conversions and penalties in a game that could only be described as a comedy of errors.
At the final whistle, which couldn’t come soon enough, they suffered for their indiscretions by conceding forty points and registering only a converted try which was scored by Kevin Phelan with John Flynn adding the extras.
Much as I hate to say it, but if this is the attitude that will prevail for the three remaining games
Waterpark are staring the drop to Division 2 in the face.

U18 Munster Cup quarter-final
Newcastle West/Estuary 8 Waterpark 27
Waterpark travelled to Newcastle West on Sunday last in what was to be their toughest game in the competition so far, but at the business end of affairs came through with flying colours to comprehensively defeat the home side by 8 – 27.
This victory now puts them into the semi-finals against either Cashel or Dungarvan whose game was cancelled at the weekend.
Unfortunately this game is also to be played away, which seems strange considering that this team have already been on the road on no more than five occasions out of their seven games played so far in this competition.
Park opened the scoring with a try by flanker, Padraig Gannon which was converted by Nick O’Donoghue after fifteen minutes.
This was followed shortly by a well struck penalty again by O’Donoghue to increase the margin to 0-10. Just before the break the home side pulled back three points with a penalty of their own to leave the half time score at 3-10.
Newcastle West started the second period with a determined attitude and had the upper hand for about ten minutes, but were unable to break down a stubborn Park defence and within a few minutes they found themselves further behind when after a wonderful flowing movement almost the length of the pitch, Number 8, Alex Deegan, crossed for a great try.
O’Donoghue added the extras and Park ahead at 3-17.With the visitor’s now in control out half, Alex Molloy, went over for the third try with O’Donoghue again successful to push the score out to 3-24.
The home side did rally on the hour mark to register their try, but with seven minutes on the clock O’Donoghue slotted his fifth successful kick of the game to finish off the scoring and Park victorious at 8-27.

U16 Munster Cup
Newcastle West.Estuary 11 Waterpark 15
With the U18’s having earlier chalked up a win, the pressure was on this younger squad to also deliver the goods and register two wins against the home side, and this they did with a gutsy and determined performance to emerge victorious by 11-15.
The visitors were first out of the blocks on ten minutes with a try by John Monaghan. Five minutes later Newcastle West leveled matters with a try of their own, but just on the half time whistle, Park out half, Ben Daly, slotted a penalty to put his side ahead at the break by 5-8.
Early in the second period the home side kept the pressure on Park with a penalty to level matters at 8-8, but on fifty minutes came the crucial score of the game after a great break by full back, Daragh Hartley from inside his own half, he fed winger Ben Cummins who carried on the movement and he in turn offloaded to the supporting Ben Daly who crossed under the posts for the try, which he himself converted, to put seven points between the sides at 8-15.
With five minutes remaining the home side converted another penalty to reduce the gap to 11-15, but it was too little too late and at the final whistle Park had brought off the double with another victory over the Co. Limerick side by 11-15. They now await the visit of Ennis RFC to Ballinakill next weekend in the semi-final probably on Saturday.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment