Buckled Hoops roll over lopsided Blues

Waterford Utd: Shamrock Rvs 2

Report by Matt Keane

Waterford United lost 2-0 to Shamrock Rovers for the second time in four weeks when they crashed at home at the RSC on Friday night last.

Former Waterford player, Andy Myler was the player who did the damage with a goal in both halves. Unconfirmed reports suggested that there was a bust-up in the Rovers camp prior to the game involving a number of Rovers players on the team coach, a dispute which allegedly also involved the team manager Pat Scully. After the game the Hoops boss refused to make any comment on what allegedly occurred. He was, however more forthcoming when asked to comment on his side’s display.

‘I felt we were very strong and all of the players played their part in an excellent win which has moved us into second place on the league table. Padraig Amond, Owen Doyle and Andy Myler gave Waterford all sorts of problems in the first half and then we kept our shape very well in the second half,’ said Scully.

Waterford United fielded an unchanged side following their superb away win in Galway the previous week. Rovers made four changes from the team which lost inn the semi final of the League Cup to Bohemians the previous Tuesday.

Former Waterford United manager Alan Reynolds wore the No 4 shirt for the visitors. Owen Doyle was making his debut for the Dubliners. Paul McCarthy played wide left for the Blues with Cathal Lordan on the right. They reversed positions later on in the game. Vinny Sullivan was partnered up front by Willie John Kiely.

Myler scores

Shamrock Rovers looked very sharp during the opening half hour and Dean Delaney was the first goalkeeper to be tested, diving to save an Andy Myler header following a left wing cross by Owen Doyle.

Shortly afterwards Delaney had to be at his very best, spreading himself to save from Myler again. The big striker was put through by Padraig Amond. The visitors went close once again on 18 minutes when Padraig Amond shot wide from a good position.

It was only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken and the opening goal arrived after 21 minutes. Ger O’Brien right wing cross was knocked on by Padraig Amond to Andy Myler who ghosted in behind Pat Flynn at the far post and back-heeled the ball into the net from close range.

Willie John Kiely had a decent chance to level the game on the half hour mark but after meeting a left wing cross from Cathal Lordan his header lacked conviction. The Rovers goalkeeper Barry Murphy then spilled a free kick taken by Cathal Lordan but following through both Dave Warren and Vinny Sullivan had their efforts cleared by Dave Cassidy.

Dean Delaney produced another fine save from the player making his debut, Owen Doyle, on 42 minutes. Doyle raced past three players before firing in a shot which was pushed around the post by the Blues goalkeeper.

Pressure in vain

There appeared to be more passion to the Waterford play when the second half got underway and 7 minutes in Vinny Sullivan was unlucky to see the ball get caught under his legs in the penalty area following a pass from Paul McCarthy.

Karl Bermingham, who had replaced Willie John Kiely on 50 minutes, had a chance on the hour mark when he found himself in front of goal but he hesitated when really he should have had a go and as a result Barry Ferguson got back to kick the ball clear.

Another substitute, Robert Brosnan, dived full length to meet a ball from Cathal Lordan on 72 minutes but Barry Murphy dived to his right to tip the ball around the upright. David Breen came forward on 79 minutes but again Murphy saved. Rovers wrapped up the game 5 minutes from full-time.

Dave Tyrell swung the ball over from the left flank to Andy Myler. The Hoops’ No 10 struck the crossbar with his first effort but when the ball came back into his path he made no mistake at his second attempt and he duly celebrated his double in fine style.

Waterford United: Dean Delaney, Pat Flynn, Robbie Hedderman, Kenny Browne, David Breen, Dave Warren, Dave Mulcahy, Paul McCarthy, Vinny Sullivan, Willie John Kiely, Cathal Lodan. Subs.: Karl Bermingham for Kiely (50 mins), Daryl Kavanagh for Warren (58 mins), Robert Brosnan for Hedderman (70 mins).

Shamrock Rovers: Barry Murphy, Ger O’Brien, Dave Tyrell, Alan Reynolds, Barry Ferguson, Danny O’Connor, Dave Cassidy, Eric McGill, Padraig Amond, Andy Myler, Owen Doyle. Subs.: Tadgh Purcell for Doyle (58 mins), Ger Rowe for Amond (58 mins), Paul Shields for Reynolds (70 mins).

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Cork).

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.