Three Furlongs Derby Win for Wexford Youths

No way past the Wexford Youths' defence for Blues striker Willie John Kiely.

No way past the Wexford Youths' defence for Blues striker Willie John Kiely.


Three goals scored by former Waterford United player Danny Furlong secured a facile victory for Wexford Youths in this one-sided South East Derby game at the RSC on Friday night last. This was the second time this season that Shane Keegan’s men had won at the Kilbarry venue.

The opening goal arrived on 11 minutes when Blues defender Gary Delaney superb glanced a free kick from Shane Dunne over the crossbar but after Andy Mulligan sent the resulting comer kick to the near post, Danny Furlong powered a close range header to the back of Kevin Burns’ net to give Wexford the lead.

Furlong was gifted a glorious chance to double his sides advantage on 20 minutes when a terrible pass from Waterford’s Philip Drohan sent the striker into the clear on the right side of the penalty area but his right-footed effort from 16 yards went just inches wide of the far post with Burns beaten.

The Wexford attacker created another chance for himself less than three minutes later when he took a ball down the left side from Aidan Keenan but after getting the better of Delaney, his angled effort was superbly kept out at the near post by keeper Kevin Burns.

Former Blues player Furlong was handed his second goal on a plate on 26 minutes when he intercepted a ball from Shaun Corcoran before racing clear on goal to slip a right-footed shot to the left corner of the net past a stranded Kevin Burns to put his side in the driving seat.

It became embarrassing for the hosts as they conceded their third goal of the first half less than four minutes later as Danny Furlong notched his hat-trick with a sublimed finish high into the roof of the net from a stunning left-footed 14-yard strike after a brilliant Shane Dunne delivery from the left.

The only glimpse that the home side got of the Wexford goal came four minutes before the end of the opening half when Conor Whittle sent over a cross from the right that picked out Jack Doherty inside the area but the Ipswich Town loanee couldn’t direct his right-footed shot from 16 yards on target.

The home players did come out for the second period on the front foot with the first chance coming six minutes in when Philip Drohan set up Paddy Barrett but his low shot was well held by the Wexford Youths netminder Graham Doyle.

Wexford Youths went close to adding their fourth goal of the contest less than two minutes later when Eric Molloy took possession of the ball on the edge of the penalty area after a pass from Peter Higgins but his left-footed shot was wide of the left-hand post with keeper Kevin Burns struggling.

Jack Doherty did have a chance to pull a goal back on 58 minutes when he burst through a couple of tackles but his low, left-footed shot was deflected for a corner kick and five minutes later, Kevin O’Connor latched onto the ball inside the penalty area, however his shot was turned out for a fruitless corner kick.

The majority of the second period however was a non event as the Blues failed to get over the disappointment of conceding three goals in the first half.

WATERFORD UNITED: Kevin Burns, Conor Whittle ( Thomas Croke ‘85), Gary Delaney ( Patrick Fitzgerald ‘46), Paddy Barrett, Shaun Corcoran, Jack  Doherty (Vinny Sullivan ‘68), Brian Nolan, Kevin  O’Connor, Willie John Kiely,Stephen Grant,Philip Drohan.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Graham Doyle, Shane Nolan,  Andy Mulligan ( Dean Broaders ‘73), Killian Cantwell, Stephen Last, Peter Higgins, Eric Molloy, Craig Wall, Danny Furlong Daragh (Walshe‘86), Shane Dunne, Aidan Keenan.

REFEREE: Anthony Buttimer(Cork).

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Comments are closed.