Waterpark RFC

Munster Junior League, Division 2

Waterpark 41
Mallow 10

Despite an indifferent performance (and I use the word advisedly) by Park against Mallow in this Munster Junior League Division 2 fixture, which saw them register a comprehensive 41-10 win, they are now the clear leaders with six wins from six games and have a five point cushion over their nearest challengers Thurles and Youghal.

Danny O’Driscoll in possession for Waterpark

Danny O’Driscoll in possession for Waterpark

There is an old saying in sport that “ it’s tough to get to the top, but it’s even tougher to stay there” and I have to say that Park are not making life any easier for themselves with the quality, or lack of it, of their display which was served up in Ballinakill on Sunday last.

At certain stages throughout the game they seemed to lose their way with planned moves breaking down due to players being in the wrong positions. Thankfully these guys have the skills to extricate themselves from difficult positions when the need arises, and this was shown in no uncertain terms through full back Alex Molloy, who showcased his considerable talents when he crossed for no less than three tries in the opening 25 minutes to put his side on the road to victory.

The first of his tries came after only four minutes when he gathered a defensive clearance by Mallow inside his own half and left several would be tacklers in his wake to cross for the try which out half John O’Brien converted to leave Park 7-0 ahead.

David O’Donoghue is tackled by the Mallow defence

David O’Donoghue is tackled by the Mallow defence

However within two minutes Mallow were on the scoreboard with a try when their flanker, Brian Henry, broke free from a maul ten metres out to cross unopposed, 7-5 to Park. On 15 minutes from a tap penalty 30 metres from the Mallow line, O’Brien broke down the narrow side to offload to Molloy who went over in the corner for his second try to push the score to 12-5. Within two minutes this had been increased to 17-5 with another try after O’Brien finished off a good move in the corner.

The bonus point was secured on 25 minutes when, with Mallow on the attack well inside the Park twentytwo, Molloy latched on to a turnover ball and raced the length of the field and dotted down under the posts for his third try which O’Brien easily converted to put 19 points between the sides as the half-time score read 24-5 to the home team.

For the first five minutes in the second period the visitor’s had Park under constant pressure but winger Scott Hornibrook received a favourable bounce from a relieving kick by scrum half, Vinny Molloy and he gathered safely on halfway and raced away to outstrip the covering defence to secure Park’s fifth try and increase the deficit to 29-5.

Alex Molloy on his way to his first try

Alex Molloy on his way to his first try

Three minutes later Park had crossed the whitewash once more for their sixth try after lock, David Latimer, was on hand to shrug aside tackles on his way to the line. 34-5 to Park. To their credit Mallow never threw in the towel and on 75 minutes they crossed for their second try with a rolling maul from a five metre lineout.

Full back James Glynn was unlucky with a great kick from the touchline when he saw his effort come back off the posts to leave the score at 34-10. Park had the final say with the last play of the game after they had secured a turnover ball inside their own twentytwo. A kick ahead by O’Brien, was further added to by winger Mark Molloy for Ivan Kiersey who won the race for the touchdown and put the final nail in the Co. Cork’s side coffin. Alex Molloy added the extras for the home side to leave the final score 41-10 to Waterpark.

This was by no means a game for the purist and a big improvement will have to be on the cards for their next outing when they travel to the sailing capital of the south, Kinsale, to take on the local side.

Scott Hornibrook going over for a try

Scott Hornibrook going over for a try

The Cork side had a poor start to their league campaign losing their opening three fixtures, but they seem to have gained considerable momentum in the last month or so and have registered three victories from their last three games, so a very tough encounter is on the cards.

By the way this game is down for decision on Saturday next with a 5.00pm kick-off time, so all support will be very much appreciated.

U16 Friendly

Waterpark 24
Gorey 36

With a free weekend from their Munster Conference League exploits this friendly fixture, which took place on Saturday morning last in Ballinakill, was arranged with Gorey and it provided a wake-up call for this team who are top of their respective league, when they learned that when mistakes are made they will be punished by quality opposition.

The Gorey side was interspersed with some U17 players which the home side found difficult to cope with throughout the game and after 25 minutes they found themselves behind by 0-17 through three tries by the visitors, one of which was converted.

It was only on the half hour mark that they got any sort of possession which sparked a bit of urgency in their play as up to this point the whole team were in the process of having a nightmare of a game with both backs and forwards falling off tackles and being turned over at ruck and maul situations which allowed the visitor’s the run of the park.

The Mallow defence attempting to hold back Jack Tully

The Mallow defence attempting to hold back Jack Tully

However coming up to the break a Gavin Corbett try in the corner gave them a little hope which they built further on in injury time when from a tap penalty on the five metre line, lock Jay Traynor, barged over for his sides second try to leave only seven points between the sides at 10-17.

After the resumption Park went back into their shell and the visitors continued to call the shots and after 20 minutes had crossed for a further two tries and with one conversion the score stood at 10-29.

Traynor cut the deficit to 17-29 with a converted try on the hour mark but again some very poor tackling allowed the Gorey centre to run from inside his own twentytwo and go over under the posts for his sides sixth try of the game and the successful conversion pushed the score out to 17-36. Park did hit back with a few minutes to go when prop, Samuel Mathe, who was one of the few players to come out of this game with credit, brushed aside several tackles to go over to the left of the posts for the final converted try to leave the score at 24-36.

For full story see The Munster Express newspaper or
subscribe to our Electronic edition.

Leave a Comment