Jim O'Sullivan

Race for possession between Waterford Crystal

Waterford Crystal; 2 St Paul’s 1

■□■ View Photos

Waterford Crystal lifted the Division 4 Cup in Ozier Park on Thursday evening last thanks to a brace of goals from Wayne Lee.

Down the years this grade (for players aged 33 years or older) has produced some wonderful games and this decider lived up to expectations. Lisduggan-based St Pauls had already won the league title and were going for the double but the experienced Crystal players had different ideas. It was interesting that Wayne Lee’s brother, Christy, lined out for St Pauls and he also got his name on the scoresheet. When was the last time two brothers scored in a cup final for the two teams on view?

Waterford Crystal produced the first attack when Christy Halloran passed to Wayne Lee but he shot wide in front of a wide open goal. Three minutes later, St Pauls had a chance. Jim Wyse floated over a ball from the left to the far post but Darren Ryan shot into the side netting.

Crystal took the lead in the 10th minute. Niall Butler played a long ball from the left into the path of Wayne Lee and he atoned for his earlier miss by blasting the ball past Saints goalkeeper Pascal White from just inside the penalty area.

St Pauls got back on level terms three minutes later. David Butler handled inside the box, trying to stop a shot from Jim Wyse. Christy Lee took the penalty kick and he gave Crystal goalkeeper Johnny Arrigan no chance.

The last action of the first half saw Ian Walsh of Crystal shoot over the crossbar after the Saints defence had failed to clear a Paul Butler corner kick properly.


Crystal took the lead once again six minutes into the second half and again it was Niall Butler who set up Wayne Lee, who tucked the ball to the net at the near post despite the attentions of a number of defenders.

Lee almost scored once again shortly afterwards but he shot into the side netting following yet another ball from Butler.

The game was soured somewhat on 43 minutes when Martin Doyle (Crystal) and Ray Byrne were sent off after a silly outburst. Jackie Dunne of St Pauls picked out Jim Wyse on 46 minutes but he could not keep his header down. Pascal White saved well from Christy Halloran on 50 minutes.

‘The Parish’ outfit tried their best to equalise but the strong Crystal defence stood its ground superbly as their side celebrated the first domestic cup success of the season.

Waterford Crystal: Johnny Arrigan, Paul Butler, Niall Butler, Martin Doyle, Jamie Flynn, David Butler, Derek Gailbert, Ian Walsh, Christy Halloran, Wayne Lee, Gary Power. Subs: Jim O’Brien for Power (41 mins), Derek Kelly for Halloran (57 mins).

St Pauls: Pascal White, Jim Wyse, Jackie Dunne, Derek Wyse, Christy Lee, Kevin McLawrence, Mark Oates, Albert Healy, Jamie Bowland, Darren Ryan, Ray Byrne. Subs. Larry Mullally for McLawrence (40 mins), Tommy Roche for Ryan (53 mins), Pat Dunphy for Wyse (56 mins).

Referee: Tony Butler.