Jim OSullivan

Rathgormacks Kevin Power under pressure from Adrian Carroll and Tom Whelan. | Photos: Jim OSullivan

Rathgormack 1; Piltown 0

■□■ View Photos

Rathgormack won the Marquis Cup in Ozier Park last Wednesday thanks to a goal scored by Jason Murray after four minutes. On semi-final form, they went into the decider as favourites because they were far too strong for Tycor. Piltown on the other hand had to dig deep to get the better of Seaview Celtic in their last four contest.

That form, to a certain degree was the order of the day last week but in fairness to Piltown they did make a good effort, especially in the second half having been outplayed during the course of the first period.

Piltown got off to the worst possible start by conceding an early goal following a Michael Halpin corner kick.

Piltown defender Paul Cooke tried to head the ball clear but his attempted clearance fell into the path of the unmarked Jason Murray who couldn’t believe his luck as he headed the ball into the net from eight yards.

Five minutes later, Murray almost scored once again. He ran on to a ball from Kevin Power but he shot across the goal with the Piltown goalkeeper, Jonathan Stuart advancing with pace.

Rathgormack continued to keep the Piltown side pegged back inside their own half and the next player to go close to scoring was Mervyn Cummins who rose high to meet a right sided corner kick taken by Michael Halpin but his effort went over the crossbar. Two minutes later, Jonathan Stuart produced a fine save from Paudie Whelan who cracked in an angled strike from the left.

The half time chat worked wonders for Piltown because they looked a much more settled team during the course of the second 45 minutes.

They had a chance on 56 minutes when Jack Quinn sent the ball over from the right which Rathgormack goalkeeper Brendan Crotty punched clear. However, it fell into the path of Paul Walsh whose effort went narrowly over the crossbar.

Rathgormack did create a chance after 64 minutes when Paudie Whelan passed to Jason Murray but Jonathan Stewart got down well to save.

Back came Piltown and they were a little unlucky not to equalise on 68 minutes. Colin Regan got in a deep cross from the right which was met at the far post by Paul Walsh but his header came crashing back off the outside of the penalty area.

Rathgormack had keeper Brendan Crotty to thank on 71 minutes when he held a powerful header from Brendan Ryan.

Piltown enjoyed a lot of possession after that save but the Rathgormack defence in which Kenny Hassett, John Kirwan and the long serving Pat Fahey starred, held on without too much difficulty.

Rathgormack: Brendan Crotty, John Kirwan, Kenny Hassett, Shane Gough, Pat Fahey, Mervyn Cummins, Paudie Whelan, Kevin Power, Jason Murray, Michael Halpin, Jamie Kirwan.

Subs: Michael Crotty for Gough (62 mins) Daniel Drohan for Jamie Kirwan (68 mins) Kieran Hassett for Halpin (81 mins)

Piltown: Jonathan Stuart, Jack Quinn, Adrian Carroll, Paul Cooke, Brendan Ryan, Colin Regan, Tom Whelan, Michael Dowley, James Brophy, Paul Walsh, Brian Gallagher.

Subs: David Cummins for Brophy (58 mins) Mart Ryan for Regan (74 mins).

Referee: Johnny Matthews.