Close action with Tramore Rangers Barry Fitzpatrick and Ferrybank\'s Stephen Westwood.

Close action with Tramore Rangers Barry Fitzpatrick and Ferrybank's Stephen Westwood.

Ferrybank 3; Tramore Rangers 0

??? View Photos

Ferrybank have one aim this season. They want to regain their place in the Premier League following their relegation last term and there is doubt that cup victories this season will be regarded as a bonus by manager Paul Cashin and the coaching staff at The Village Grounds at Abbeylands.

They have got off to a good start in Division 1A. They lost their opening game to Kilmacthomas with a weakened team but since that defeat they have reeled off four wins on the trot. On Thursday night last they faced a Tramore Rangers side who also play in Division 1A. The seasiders have also played five league games. They won two and lost three so Ferrybank went into this Munster Cup match as favourites and they lived up to that tag.

This was Ferrybank’s first cup game this season because their match against Abbeyside the previous week in the FAI Junior Cup was called off due to a waterlogged pitch. The winners of that game will have a home game against the FAI Cup champions Carrick United.

Tramore Rangers put in a very good shift on Thursday but two quick goals during the course of the second half put paid to their brave effort. Ferrybank took the lead after 13 minutes. John O’Bryne got in a fine cross from the right which was punched clear by the Rangers goalkeeper Ronan Curran but when the ball fell to Stephen Westwood he finished in style with his left foot.

The home side increased their advantage on 51 minutes. Central defender Barry Fitzpatrick took down Shane Mallon inside the box and referee Noel Purcell had no option but to point to the penalty spot and Stephen Westwood duly dispatched the ball to the net. Five minutes later the writing was on the wall for the visitors. Shane Mallon got to much space out on the left and when he crossed to Kevin “Goosie” Roche the talented striker headed powerfully to the back of the net. Rangers finished the game with ten players after Mark Curran fouled John O’Byrne.

Ferrybank: Hugh Mullally, Darren Lyons, Ian Mullally, Richard Gaffney, Pat Heffernan, Ger Flynn, John O’Byrne, Derek Jordan, Stephen Westwood, Kevin Roche, Shane Mallon. Subs. Robert Mullally for Jordan (58 mins) Colm Roche for Lyons (79 mins) Cormac O’Driscoll for Westwood (79 mins)

Tramore Rangers: Ronan Curran, Stephen O’Gorman, Mark Curran, Mark O’Byrne, Barry Fitzpatrick, Niall Farrell, John Murphy, Gary Morrissey, Niall Jackman, Mark Hannigan, James Legg. Subs. Simon Keane for Farrell (50 mins) Thomas Brett for Legg (54 mins) Mark Smith for Murphy (69 mins)

Referee: Noel Purcell.