Ferrybank 5; Villa 3
[View photos]

Many years ago when I was growing up in and around the Ozier Park area we used to play a game called ‘backs and forwards’. It was great fun and goals were the order of the day as we played until darkness fell during the summer months. Last week in Ozier Park two teams played football which resembled the old game of days long gone and it provided plenty of entertainment for those of us who were present to watch it.

It appeared that every time a team attacked, especially during the first half, a goal would be recorded. I have no idea whether the ‘backs’ were terrible or that the ‘forwards’ were excellent. Whatever the reason this was a game that proved that cup football can throw up some extraordinary games from time to time.

Going into the match the Villa outfit were hot favourites to win and book a final date with Granagh because they had been crowned Division 1B champions a few weeks previously. Ferrybank on the other hand had not enjoyed such a good season and few rated their chances. However when they took the lead after only two minutes the outcome was thrown up in the air and following an amazing 90 minutes they were the side who started to look forward to meeting the Granagh team who are managed by Nicky Walsh.

One of the main players for Ferrybank was Alan O’Shea and the big defender scored one of the goals which created the victory. If they beat Granagh in the final it will mean the O’Shea household in Ferrybank will possess a European Championship medal, an FA Premiership medal and an Infirmary Cup medal with the year 2008 engraved on them. Alan is the brother of Manchester United star John O’Shea.

Goal blitz

* 2nd Minute: Ferrybank’s Ger Flynn scored a superb goal from 25 yards following a square pass from Colm O’Neill.

* 7th Minute: Eoin Cooley equalised for the Villa with a superb angled strike from the right side of the penalty area after taking a pass from Walter Long.

* 12th Minute: Aaron Power, the Villa central defender, fouled Michael Penkert just outside the penalty area. Alan O’Shea came forward to take the free kick and he curled the ball into the roof of the net, past goalkeeper Liam Kavanagh.

* 20th Minute: Ferrybank’s Mick Dunphy tested the Villa goalkeeper with a hard low shot. Alan O’Shea took the resultant corner kick from the right and Andrew Keogh headed powerfully to the roof of the net.

* 28th Minute: Villa got back into the game when Ian Crowley sent Kevin Jordan away with a good through pass and Jordan drew the goalkeeper before placing the ball into the right corner of the net.

* 32nd Minute: Referee Tony Lacey pointed to the penalty spot when the Villa defender Damien Roche appeared to handle inside the box and Cormac O’Meara made no mistake from the spot.

* 44th Minute: Villa made it 4-3 when Kevin Jordan scored his 2nd goal of the game by looping a header over the Ferrybank goalkeeper Simone Valefoiri following a fine cross from Ian Crowley.

* 61st Minute: Walter Long almost equalised for the Villa with an angled drive from the right but the ball went inches wide of the far upright.

* 62nd Minute: Ferrybank went 5-3 in front through Michael Penkert who touched home a low right wing cross from Conor Hayden.

* 78th Minute: Alan O’Shea almost repeated his free scoring act of the first half but this time his curling free kick came back off Liam Kavanagh’s right upright.

* 90th Minute: Players and spectators alike stopped trying to take in what had occurred during the hour and a half. Was it good? Was it bad? Who cares! It was great fun.

Ferrybank: Simone Valefoiri, Pete O’Byrne, Mick Dunphy, Conor Hayden, Alan O’Shea, Cormac O’Meara, Ger Flynn, Andrew Keogh, Michael Penkert, Colm O’Neill, Pat McNamara. Subs: Ger Treacy for O’Byrne (58 mins), Stephen Westwood for O’Neill (67 mins), Barry Fitzpatrick for Dunphy (87 mins).

Villa: Liam Kavanagh, Shane Butler, Eddie Widger, Damien Roche, Aaron Power, Dave McCaffrey, Ian Crowley, Eoin Cooley, Kevin Jordan, Walter Long, Alan Roche. Subs: Eric Marsh for Butler (h-t), Lee Douglas for Widger (74 mins).


Referee: Tony Lacey.