“We can’t keep meeting like this!” - Crystal’s Davy “Squealer” Walsh and St Saviours goalkeeper Graham Cleary. 		Photos: Jim O’Sullivan

“We can’t keep meeting like this!” - Crystal’s Davy “Squealer” Walsh and St Saviours goalkeeper Graham Cleary. Photos: Jim O’Sullivan

St Saviour’s 0; Wat. Crystal 0  (AET; Crystal won 3-1 on penalties)

Cup specialists Waterford Crystal are back on the march once again in a competition they have enjoyed for many years. Champions in 2005 and finalists on two other occasions they had to do things the hard away against St Saviour’s on Sunday, but that is something they have come to do superbly well down through the years.

They gave nothing away during the course of the game and not for the first time they came out on top after a penalty shoot-out and their ace goalkeeper Derek Hearne did the business once again by saving two St Saviour’s spot kicks. “Scrubber” has saved dozens of penalties in his glittering career and he is worth his weight in gold to the club. St Saviour’s will now turn their attention to the Munster Cup and of course the Premier League which they have taken by storm this season.


John Paul Jacob enjoyed a good game in the middle of the park for St Saviour’s but his promptings did not work to well because the back for of Waterford Crystal held firm during the course of the first half.

Crystal had a chance after 3 minutes when David McGrath crossed from the left to Davy Walsh but he shot over the crossbar. The home goalkeeper Graham Cleary then saved from Billy Costine who had met a corner kick taken by Robbie Butler.

Five minutes later Cleary saved from Jason Halloran. Crystal put an excellent move together on 32 minutes. Derek Hearne picked out Jason Halloran who in turn released David McGrath but he shot wide from a decent position.

The last move of the first half saw Mitchell Casey try his luck from 20 yards but Graham Cleary pulled off a fine save.

Saints improve

St Saviour’s were more impressive in the second half and John Keane crossed from the left to Joe Twomey early on who released Stephen Dalton but he struck the Crystal crossbar.

James Kennedy then swung over a corner kick on 56 minutes which was flicked on by the head of Anthony Jacob but there was no one following through to finish off the move. Jason Halloran and Robbie Butler then combined for Crystal.

Butler shot at goal but the St Saviour’s substitute Aaron O’Neill got back in the nick of time to clear off the goaline. The final minutes saw two corner kicks, one to each club. Brendan Rea had a header saved by Graham Cleary and then Stephen Dalton picked out James Kennedy with a flag kick but he headed over.

Corners were the order of the day in extra-time also. Aaron O’Neill floated over a ball in the first period which was met by John Paul Jacob but unfortunately for St Saviour’s Stephen Dalton was in the wrong place at the wrong time and the ball hit him and away to safety.

In the final seconds Mitchel Casey headed wide after meeting a corner kick taken by Jason Halloran.

Hearne saves

Stephen Dalton shot over the crossbar with St Saviour’s first penalty. Jason Halloran did likewise for Waterford Crystal. Joe Twoomey then scored for the Saints and Jason Foran netted for Crystal. Trevor O’Regan then had his spot kick saved by Derek Hearne and Barry Costine scored for Crystal.

Derek Hearne then saved from Billy Barron and that meant that David McEvoy had the chance to win the game for Crystal, something he did with ease.

St Saviour’s: Graham Cleary, Anthony Jacob, John Keane, James Kennedy, Trevor O’Regan, John Paul Jacob, Philip Penkert, Brian O’Donoghue, Colin Keane, Stephen Dalton, Joe Twomey. Subs.: Aaron O’Nell for John Keane (55 mins), Billy Barron for Colin Keane (61 mins), Pat McCarthy for Penkert (73 mins).

Waterford Crystal: Derek Hearne, Kevin Gahan, Jimmy Barden, David McEvoy, Pat Dobbyn, Mitchel Casey, David McGrath, Barry Costine, Dave Walsh, Jason Halloran, Robbie Butler. Subs.: Brendan Rea for Walsh (82 mins), Jason Foran for Gahan (98 mins).

Referee: Jimmy McGrath.