Dunmore East RNLI part of search team
after boat sinks with two on board
Eoghan Dalton Reports
The Dunmore East RNLI lifeboat was among the rescue services called into action as part of the search for a missing fisherman.
The alarm was raised on Saturday night that a boat trawler was in trouble off Hook Head.
Dunmore East RNLI and Kilmore RNLI lifeboats responded and arrived on the scene.One of the fishermen – 65-year-old Joe Sinnott – was recovered from the sea by a Coast Guard helicopter but was sadly confirmed deceased a short time later.
The search for William Whelan continues. It was stood down Sunday afternoon due to fading light and a forecasted gale warning.
Rescue services went back out at first light yesterday (Monday) morning but conditions “deteriorated significantly” according to the Coast Guard.
The alarm was raised by an automatic signal sent to the Coast Guard rather than an alarm being raised by the fishermen on the boat.
Tony Kelly, Dunmore East RNLI Deputy Launching Authority said Saturday’s search had been a “long night” for all involved.
“Our volunteers endured difficult conditions during the night and all day today. Our hearts go out to the families of the two fishermen at this sad time,” he said.
RNLI crews from Dunmore East, Kilmore Quay, and Fethard-on-Sea and the Coast Guard are part of the search, with two rescue helicopters also involved. Irish navy patrol vessel LE Ciara took command of the operation on Monday.
The tragedy comes a few days short of the anniversary of the sinking of the Pere Charles. The trawler sank on January 10 2007 off the coast of Wexford with the loss of all five hands on board.