Parts of The Quay were under water as were areas at Blenheim, Knockhouse and Bilberry but the worst affected was, once again, the Tramore Road which was impassable from Ballindud to Superquinn. The inner ring road from the Tramore roundabout towards the Folly was also flooded causing havoc and long delays for traffic. Bath Street/Poleberry was also flooded. Parts of the Old Tramore Road were under water but passable. On the outskirts of the city, there were flooding problems at Slieverue near the Rhu Glenn.
1916 tragedy for Sheridan family
On Wednesday, The Irish Times recalled a violent storm that raged over Waterford city during November 1916 and had tragic consequences for the well known and respected Sheridan business family. At that time, Mr TJ Sheridan had recently founded his garage business and was living with his wife, Margaret, and their four children, Gerard, Thomas, Patrick and Masie on The Quay. This was before the family moved to another premises on The Quay, close to Bailey’s New Street, where Mr Sheridan set up his Ford dealership in 1919, a franchise still carried on by his family today at modern premises on the city’s Cork Road ‘Motor Mile’.
Shortly after 8am on that fateful day, continuous heavy rain caused the gable-end wall of the adjoining house, home of a dentist named Dr Meredith, to collapse. The weight of the debris caused the roof of the Sheridan home to cave in and two of the children, Thomas (2) and Patrick (1), were killed in their beds by falling slates and masonry. The other occupants of the house, Mr and Mrs Sheridan, their other children Gerard and Masie, a housemaid and a chauffer survived the tragedy.