waterfordWaterford United 2 Cobh Ramblers 4 (AET)
Waterford United made their exit from the Under 19 Cup in disappointing fashion at the RSC on Saturday last.
Having defeated St Patrick’s Athletic in the previous round hopes were high that the young Blues would go on and book a place in the last four but they came up against a Cobh team who were determined to go back to Co Cork with a victory.
Waterford had defeated them in the league in St Coleman’s Park the previous month but on this occasion the Ramblers outfit proved a completely different proposition.
Kevin O’Connor scored two goals for the home side and also missed a penalty for Waterford but following the 90 minutes plus the extra 30 minutes no one could have any complaints about the outcome.
Jonathan Creamer missed a great  chance on  39 minutes when he raced clear out on the left to get on the end of a through ball from Kynan Rocks but he somehow fired wide from close range before Creamer brought a fine save out of Blues netminder Shane Morrissey with the final attack of the first half.
It came as no real surprise that the visitors opened the scoring on 56 minutes when the impressive Rocks split the Waterford defence apart with a pass that sent Keith O’Flynn into the clear on the right side of the penalty and he gave keeper Morrissey little chance with a delicate left-footed finish.
In a rare Waterford attack, the sides were level four minutes later when Andrew O’Connor battled for possession inside the penalty area and when the ball broke to Kevin O’Connor, his cracking left-footed strike from 20 yards flew past the stranded Steven Hickey after taken a deflection.
Jonathan Creamer had two chances to regain the Cobh lead but he was off target twice, the second of which proved to be his final part in the game as he was replaced on the stroke of full time by Daniel Barry, who went onto play a major part in the game.
The hosts gifted their opponents the lead goal on 97 minutes when they failed to clear their lines after a David Walsh cross and Daniel Barry bundled the ball over the line and within three minutes of the second period, Barry seemed to put the tie beyond doubt with a stunning left-footed strike from 20 yards.
Waterford United didn’t give up the ghost despite finding themselves two goals down and they were back in the race two minutes later when Niall McCabe was fouled and O’Connor grabbed his second goal from the resulting 25-yard free kick.
With seven minutes remaining in extra time, referee Shane Dunphy awarded the hosts a penalty when Mark Walsh was brought down in the area after a Conor Whittle close range effort came back off the post but Kevin O’Connor’s attempt at a hat-trick was denied by Cobh Ramblers keeper Steven Hickey as he saved with ease.
More drama followed as David Walsh received his marching orders on a straight red card two minutes from the end for a bout of verbals at the match official but it made little difference as Chris McCarthy grabbed his sides fourth goal in injury time when he fired past Shane Morrissey whilst under pressure from Patrick Fitzgerald.

Waterford United. Shane Morrissey, Keelan Hickey (Gavin Purcell `70), Andrew O’Connor, Killian Cantwell, Patrick Fitzgerald, Cormac Breslin (Josh Aimiuhi `62), Conor Whittle, Kevin O’Connor, Dean Reidy (Niall McCabe `98), Mark Walsh, Johnny St Ledger
Cobh Ramblers. Steven Hickey, Corey Crowley, Cian Murphy, Kelvin Thompson, Ryan Meaney, Chris McCarthy, Ryan Goldsmith (David Walsh `70), Robert Lynch, Jonathan Creamer (Daniel Barry `90), Kynan Rocks, Keith O’Flynn
Referee: Shane Dunphy (Wexford)