The pitch up Galbally way was unplayable a fortnight ago, which led to a rescheduling of their Division Three Group B meeting with table-topping Carrick-on-Suir, due to be played last Sunday.

There had been some committee-sourced worry from both sides that a few of their players might be a tad groggy having attended the Ireland/Argentina fixture at Croke Park the previous evening.

But those concerns were dispelled as those deemed fit for action were ready and accounted for on a blustery afternoon for rugby. Yet as the teams took to the dressing rooms ahead of their face-off, a problem emerged: there was no referee.

It has subsequently emerged that the regular email of fixtures circulated to Munster Branch referees the previous week didn’t list the Galbally/Carrick match, suggesting why there was an official no-show on Sunday.

Galbally offered to play a challenge match but a frustrated Carrick contingent declined the suggestion.

“To travel up twice in the space of three Sundays and not have a competitive match was frustrating, to put it mildly” said one Carrick player. “I could describe it in other terms but I couldn’t see you printing it.”

Carrick officials have made their angst known to the Munster Branch, expressing their dissatisfaction with the second failure to have this match successfully staged.

“To have us travelling again and not get the game played is enormously unsatifactory,” said a club official. “It’s bordering on a fiasco now at this stage.”


The first XV is set for local derby action next Sunday when Dungarvan travel to Carrick, with the hosts seeking their fourth successive league victory (kick-off: 2.30pm).

Meanwhile, Carrick’s second XV, now mainly the domain of players in their late teens or early 20s, mounted a stirringcomeback but failed to overturn Clanwilliam’s early lead at Tybroughney on Saturday evening.

Two tries conceded inside the opening 10 minutes left the hosts facing a challenge that Carrick teams have been well acquainted with over the years.

But to give Carrick their credit, they didn’t lie down and mounted a great recovery before going down 19-10, finishing the game much the stronger of the two.

Young talent including James Hogan, Colin Dwyer and debutant John Cantwell featured prominently and the work which player/coach Jamie Walsh has undertaken these past few months is clearly reaping rewards.

In fact, so good has that work proven that there is even talk of a third team being established in Carrick, a suggestion which would have raised a titter not too long ago.

It is tremendously encouraging to see so many young players emerging into junior rugby, and with returning talent such as Alan ‘Thunder’ O’Sullivan returning to the fold, Carrick’s rugby future looks very promising.

Carrick’s second XV is in action again next Saturday night when they travel to Waterford City for a 6pm (TBC) kick-off.