Johnville are through to the next stage of the FAI Youth Cup following this hard earned victory over St Saviour’s in St Martin’s Park. They will now play Bohemians, a club they will also meet in the Munster Youth Cup.

Johnville deserved to win this exciting game but credit has to go to a St Saviour’s team who played their part in producing a game full of good football. Players on both sides turned in excellent performances, especially Gary Kelly and Anthony Flynn of Johnville and Stephen Dalton of St Saviour’s who was absolutely brilliant.
The home side paraded quite a few players who have experienced Premier League football this season and at the end of the day their know-how was the telling factor between the two teams.
St Saviour’s never stopped working hard all through and they were very much in the game until Johnville scored their third goal with five minutes remaining. Just how Johnville will fare against a strong Bohemians team is open to question but one thing is for sure and that is that they will give their all in that game.
Sweet goal
Stephen Dalton burst into action for St Saviour’s after 7 minutes when he picked out Thomas Stokescracked in a low shot from the edge of the penalty area but goalkeeper Michael Walsh got down low to save.
Three minutes later Anthony Flynn of Johnville was put through by Tony Winters but his effort was saved by the Saints goalkeeper Jason Sheridan.
Stephen Dalton, a real classy player, went very close for St Saviour’s shortly afterwards with an angled strike from the right side of the penalty area.
Michael Walsh in the Johnville goal did well on 19 minutes to save from Stephen Dalton who was set up by Thomas Stokes. The home goalkeeper somehow managed to turn the ball around the upright.
Tony Winters tested Jason Sheridan on 24 minutes with a curling effort from outside the penalty area but the goalkeeper held the ball under his crossbar.
The opening goal arrived on 28 minutes and a real sweet goal it proved to be. Michael Jordan began the move by knocking the ball down the right flank and when Anthony Flynn crossed the ball into the St Saviour’s penalty area Tony Winters was in the right place to sweep the ball to the back of the net.
Daniel Power of St Saviour’s tried his luck from 20 yards on 34 minutes but his cheeky effort went over the crossbar. Johnville very nearly increased their lead just before the half-time break.
Gary Kelly fired in a cracking shot from the right but the ball came crashing back off the crossbar and when it came back to Christopher Purcell he shot straight at Jason Sheridan.
More chances
Johnville gave their visitors a mountain to climb 4 minutes into the second half when they scored from the penalty spot. A long high ball into the penalty area was handled by John Ryan and referee Ian Paul pointed to the spot. Gary Kelly took the penalty and he gave Jason Sheridan no chance.
St Saviour’s refused to throw in the towel and Stephen Dalton lobbed the ball over Michael Walsh on 58 minutes but just as the ball was about to enter the net Alan Brett got back in the nick of time to kick the ball off the goal-line.
Gary Kelly was just off target for Johnville on 64 minutes and 6 minutes later Christopher Purcell headed wide following a free kick taken by Tony Winters.
The Saints got back into the game on 72 minutes. Stephen Dalton produced more brilliant work and when he let fly from the edge of the box he saw goalkeeper Michael Walsh tip the ball on to the crossbar but following through Michael Power was on hand to slip the ball into the empty net.
Whatever chance the Saints had of taking the game into extra time disappeared on 85 minutes when Johnville scored once again. Anthony Flynn played the ball forward to Gary Kelly and he applied the finish in great style.
Good stuff then by the two sides on the day when most games fell victim to the poor weather.
Johnville: Michael Walsh, Michael Jordan, Stephen Byrne, Stephen Barron, Alan Brett, Tony Winters, Declan Kenery, Liam O’Mara, Anthony Flynn, Gary Kelly, Lee Murphy. Subs.: Christopher Purcell for O’Mara (33 mins), Alan Kavanagh for Jordan (68 mins).
St Saviour’s: Jason Sheridan, Liam Spillane, Michael O’Brien, Hugh O’Neill, John Ryan, Gary Ryan, James Halligan, Daniel Power, John Cassidy, Thomas Stokes, Stephen Dalton. Subs.: Michael Power for Gary Ryan (H-T), Dan Connors for Cassidy (59 mins).
Referee: Ian Paul.