Bohemians 0 Johnville 1

Johnville put the disappointment of losing their opening game to Hibernians behind them on Saturday night when they defeated their old rivals Bohemians in Ben Wadding Park. The only goal of the game was scored by Michael Hawe. He was only on the field a minute. He replaced Valdo Bulvas after 74 minutes and he scored 60 seconds later following a good three-man move. Kenny Purcell had a great chance to grab a point for Bohs in stoppage time but he headed wide in front of goal. His side have leaked six goals in their first two games and have yet to score, so a long tough season is in store for the Ben Wadding park outfit if they don’t improve quickly. (See elsewhere for Hobs v Johnville report.)

Carrick United 0; Waterford Crystal 0

In recent years games between Carrick United and Crystal have been feisty affairs and it was much the same story in Tom Drohan Park on Sunday morning.
The game did not produce a goal but referee Andrew Mullally was a busy man as he had to send Alan Ryan from Carrick off in the first half and another Hoops player Brian Barry also received a red card early in the second period.
Despite playing with only nine players, the home side held out against a Crystal team who won plenty of set pieces but could not score. (See elsewhere for Crystal v Villa report.)

Villa 4; Dungarvan United 1

Dungarvan United are finding their return to the Premier League tough going. They lost their opening game to Tramore by the only goal but on Saturday last they came up against a powerful Villa side who were dreadfully unlucky to lose one-nil to Waterford Crystal the previous Wednesday.
Alan Dower put the Villa in front after 6 minutes. Adam Potter scored a wonderful goal on 32 minutes to increase Pascal Keane’s side advantage and when Danny Walsh made it 3-0 on 76 minutes the game was well and truly over. Kevin Dee did pull a goal back for Dungarvan on 81 minutes but Des Mullett had the last word for Villa.

Carrick 5;  Bohemians 0

Carrick set down a marker on the opening evening of the season when they began the defence of their crown by defeating Bohemians 5-0 in Tom Drohan Park last Wednesday.
The city side held their own in a scoreless first half but the floodgates opened in the second period. FAI Junior Player of the Year Wayne Fitzgerald scored a brace and Alan Coady and Eoin Burke (direct from a free kick) also found the net. A David Whittle OG capped a miserable evening for Bohemians.

St Saviours 3; Hibernians 2

St Saviours did not play on Wednesday last but they did get their campaign off to a flying start in Ballybeg on Sunday morning. Hibernians defeated Johnville on the opening day but they found the Saints a much different proposition.
Stephen Dalton gave St Saviours the lead from the penalty spot on 38 minutes and John Keane made it 2-0 three minutes later. Brian Arrigan had the misfortune to put the ball into his own net after 65 minutes and David McGrath levelled the contest on 86 minutes. However St Saviours grabbed a dramatic winner two minutes from full-time through Joe Twomey.