Dungarvan United 2; Southend United 2

(*AET; Dungarvan won 4-3 on penalties)

Dungarvan are proving to be the penalty kings of cup football this season, winning on Sunday last their third game on the trot in a penalty shoot-out.

In the last round of the FAI Junior Cup they defeated Ferrybank on spot kicks following extra time. The following week in the Munster Cup they knocked Cappoquin out of the competition, also on penalties.

Many people predicted that this latest game would also have to be decided by a penalty shoot-out and that is how things panned out. Paul Quilty opened the scoring for Southend after 15 minutes when he touched home after Dungarvan goalkeeper Alan Landers had made a mistake. The evergreen Michael Downey equalised for the home side before a penalty put Dungarvan into the lead before half time. Ross Power was the player who crashed the ball past the Southend goalkeeper Sean Walsh from 12 yards.

The second half was a very tight affair with both sides going close on a number of occasions. Southend got back on level terms on 78 minutes when a Brian Arrigan free kick took a slight deflection and entered the net. The remainder of the game and extra time did not produce any more goals so the tie had to be decided on penalties.

Ross Power, Gavin Crotty, Trevor Crotty and Kevin Walsh were successful for Dungarvan. Aidan Landers was the player who failed to score. Michael Caulfield, Brian Arrigan and Robbie Barrett were on the mark for Southend but unfortunately from their point of view Paul Carey and Chris Feehan missed.

Dungarvan United: Alan Landers, Niall Barry, Ross Power, Tony Fitzgerald, Christy Ross Power, Mark Crotty, Aidan Landers, Pat Quinn, Micheal Downey, Trevor Crotty, Jondy Byrne. Subs: Gavin Crotty, Kevin Walsh, Leo Barry, Colin Walsh, Danny Barry, Eoin Morrissey, Kealon O.Neill.

Southend United: Sean Walsh, Daniel O’Sullivan, Chris Feehan, Michael Farrell, Michael Caulfield, Brian Arrigan, Paul Carey, David Croke, Lee Hayes, Paul Quilty, Anthony O’Rourke. Subs: Trevor Elliott, Damien Kelly, Barry Phelan, Tom Wilshire, Keith Greene, Robbie Barrett, Cliff Kearney.

Referee: John Purcell.