Clare 0-15;   WIT 1-9

Waterford IT were knocked out out of the Waterford Crystal Trophy at the first hurdle on Sunday last in Meelick when they went under to Ger O’Loughlin’s Clare by three points in the Banner’s first competitive game under ‘The Sparrow’.
Clare had the better of the first half, going in 0-7 to 0-6 in front at the break with a number of their younger players impressing.
With Waterford panellist Adrian Power in goal, WIT were still able to field a number of players that won the Fitzgibbon Cup in 2008. Of these, Timmy Hammersley and Ray Moloughney really caught the eye with two points apiece in that half, while Fintan O’Leary and Kieran Grehan also got on the scoresheet for the college in the opening half. 
Clare were by far the better team in the opening period of the second half, hitting over five points in this period, while the visitors registered just one point courtesy of a Hammersley free. 
The students did much better in the final quarter with Shane Fives and Enda Barrett excelling in the half-back line, and they drew level with points from O’Leary and Hammersley as well as a Ray Moloughney goal inside a three-minute spell.
However, Clare – who will play Waterford in the Munster senior semi-final on June bank holiday Monday – hit back with three scores in the closing minutes as Matt O’Flaherty struck over three placed balls to record a three-point debut win.
Clare: P Brennan; P Vaughan, C Dillon, A Brigdale; D O’Donovan, B O’Connell, G Quinn; P Donnellan, D McMahon; J Conlon, G O’Grady, A O’Brien; M Óg Murphy, F Lynch, C Ryan. Subs: M O’Flaherty for McMahon; D Barrett for Donnellan; J Cusack for Ryan; A Markham for O’Grady. 
Scorers: C Ryan 0-5 (3f); M O’Flaherty 0-3 (2f, 0-1 65); J Conlon 0-2; A O’Brien 0-2; M Murphy, F Lynch, G Quinn, 0-1 each. 
WIT: A Power; B Kenny, W Hutchinson, N Connors; S Fives, E Barrett, PJ Rowe; K Grehan, M Molloy; J Gahan, F O’Leary, R Good; R Moloughney, T Hammersley, S Power. Subs: B Johnston for S Power; W O’Dwyer for Grehan. 
Scorers: WIT: R Moloughney 1-2 (1f); T Hammersley 0-4 (0-2f); F O’Leary 0-2; K Grehan 0-1. 
Referee: C McAllister (Cork).