Sean Byrne-Deise Sport

An Rinns Shane Ó Ceallaigh is tackled by Ardmores James O

Ardmore 2-14; An Rinn 0-9

■□■ View Photos

Barring a very heavy defeat against The Nire and An Rinn beating Kilrossanty by a considerable margin in the last round of the league section of this year’s Lawlors Hotel Senior Football Championship, Ardmore have all but qualified for the quarter-finals following an 11-point win over An Rinn at Fraher Field on Saturday last.

While Ardmore won the game by a considerable margin in the end, in the very early stages it would have been a very brave person that would have put a large sum of money on them to win as they found themselves trailing by three points within as many minutes.

Shane O Ceallaigh and Padraig O Murchadha had An Rinn two points up with just 72 seconds on the clock and when Mike Tobin added a third from a free in the signs were not good for Ardmore.

Alan North, however, soon got the ball rolling for Ardmore when he kicked the first of his seven points, from a free in the fifth minute. Padraig O Murchadha pointed for An Rinn a minute later, to which Wayne Hennessy and North responded from frees to ensure that midway through the opening half just the minimum separated these two great rivals.

A brace from Johnny Hennessy and single efforts from Mike Tobin, Liam Lionain, Alan North and Wayne Hennessy in the closing eight minutes of the half kept it a one-point game in Ardmore’s favour at the interval.

They were given the ideal start to the second half when Johnny Hennessy was pulled down as he moved towards the An Rinn goal and referee John Murray was left with no option by to award Ardmore a penalty.

Senior Inter-county hurling goalkeeper Clinton Hennessy stepped up to take the spot kick and coolly found the back of the net. Two minutes later the two Hennessys linked up again for another Ardmore goal. This time Clinton laid off a ball in and around the goal and Johnny was on hand to punch it to the net to give Ardmore a 2-7 to 0-6 lead.


An Rinn lost Mike Tobin with an injury early in the second half and with Liam O Lionain not fully fit and a number of players not available for selection any chance An Rinn had of winning was gone.

Alan North kicked a point from a 45 six minutes into the half. Liam O Lionain responded five minutes later for An Rinn, but points for Ardmore from North on 43 minutes, a brace from Wayne Hennessy, Richie Hennessy and another couple from North frees consolidated Ardmore’s advantage.

An Rinn’s only scores in the final quarter came from a terrific Liam O Lionain effort and Darragh Ó hIarlaithe in stoppage time. Late on O Lionain also saw a great shot hit the angle of the post and crossbar before being cleared to safety. 

Ardmore: B Keane; A Flavin, M Supple, M Hennessy; P Gleeson, D Prendergast, R Hennessy; J O’Donnell, S Prendergast; Cathal Hennessy, A North, W Hennessy; Clinton Hennessy, J Hennessy and N O’Brien. Subs. D Hennessy for Cathal Hennessey, Niall Hennessy for O’Brien A O’Donnell for N Hennessy.

Scorers: A North 0-7 (0-5 Frees, 0-1 45), J Hennessy 1-2, W Hennessy 0-4 (0-1 frees), Clinton Hennessy 1-0 (Pen), R Hennessy 0-1. 

An Rinn: A Ó hEochaidh; S O Cuirrín, C O Murchadha, S O Drócháin; P O Drócháin, S O hArtaigh, T O hUallacháin; M Tobin, F O hAodha; N O Murchadha, D O Murchadha, P O Murchadha; S O Ceallaigh, C O Conchubhair, L O Lionáin. Subs. L De Gras for S O Drocháin, D Ó hIarlaithe for M Toibin.

Scorers: L O Lionain 0-3, M Tobin (0-1 frees) and P O’Murchadha 0-2 each, S O Ceallaigh and D Ó hIarlaithe0-1 each. 

Referee: J Murray (Rathgormack).