David Grincell

David Grincell

Clonmel Town 1; Waterford United 2

Waterford United, champions in 2007 are back in a Munster Senior Cup final following this victory in Dr Pat O’Callaghan Park on Wednesday last.

Fringe players Kevin Burns (goalkeeper) and right-winger Paul Carey lined out against a team who two weeks previously had lost in extra time against St Peters from Athlone in the semi-final of the FAI Junior Cup.

The pitch in Clonmel is extremely tight and it did not suit Waterford’s wide style of play but nevertheless they advanced to a final date against Rockmount in Turners Cross in the middle of May without any great deal of difficulty.

Unfortunately Paul Carey had to limp out of the game after only 16 minutes and central defender, Kevin Murray sustained a nasty nose injury.

Both sides had chances before Waterford United eventually broke the deadlock on 27 minutes. The Clonmel goalkeeper, Richard Ryan tipped away an angled shot from the left by Kevin Waters. Declan Woodgate took the resultant corner kick from the right and David Grincell got the slightest of touches to the ball with his head to direct it into the net at the near post.

Five minutes later a mistake by Kevin Burns gifted Clonmel an equaliser. Michael Coady passed to David McGrath from the right. McGrath shot at goal from just inside the penalty area. Burns got both hands to the ball but allowed it slip from his grasp and it trickled over the line.

The Blues regained their advantage on 37 minutes. Declan Woodgate got in a super cross from the left and David Grincell delightfully touched the ball past Richard Ryan from 16 yards. Willie John Kiely missed a good chance for the visitors just before half-time and Gary Dunphy also squandered a fine chance in the second half following good work by Grincell.

Clonmel Town: Richard Ryan, Damien Burns, Michael Coady, Ray Condon, Stephen Ryan, Peter Acheson, Ian Barns, Paul Scully, David McGrath, Tony Scully, John Shanahan. Subs: Barry Gibbons for Barns (10 mins), Evan Maguire for Burns (60), Dwayne Burns for McGrath (64).

Waterford United: Kevin Burns, Alan Carey, Declan Woodgate, Kevin Murray, Kenny Browne, John Kearney, Paul Carey, Joe Mulcahy, Willie John Kiely, David Grincell, Kevin Waters. Subs: Gary Dunphy for Paul Carey (16 mins) Graham Cummins for Kiely (69).

Referee: Jim McKell (Tipperary).