Derry City 2; Waterford United 0

The only surprising aspect of this match was the final score. In truth it could have read 5-0 or even 6-0 such was the gap in class between the two teams. Derry were top class, and their young side knocked the ball around the park in great style. Waterford on the other hand were laboured in everything they did and it took some remarkable saves from Chris Konopka to keep a decent look on the scoresheet.
Something has gone horribly wrong within the Blues camp, and at the moment they are really struggling to put a decent move together in games, especially away from home in the league. Defeats away to Monagahan, Longford, Wexford and now Derry has seen them slip seven points behind the Candystripes. (Monaghan and Limerick are joint third on 23 points, one win off Waerford.)
Gareth Cambridge was used as a striker in this match and Vinny Sullivan was played out wide right. Liam Kearney began the game at left full-back with Paul Carey on the right. Kevin Murray returned to centre back to play alongside Seamus Long and another player who has been out for a long time with injury, John Hayes, was placed in the middle of the park.
John Kearney had to leave the action after only 24 minutes with a hip injury and that saw David Grincell come on with John Hayes and Paul Carey moving positions. The set-up looked a mess and it came as no surprise that the home side went on to dominate the entire game. The fact that Derry scored two goals in the space of a minute also added to the problems of a Waterford team who played second fiddle all through.
Bang-bang wallop
The Blues only created two chances during the first half. Liam Kearney got free on the left after 16 minutes and he attempted to pick out Vinny Sullivan cutting in from the right, but defender Emmet Friars stopped the move with a fine clearance.
Two minutes later Derry scored. Seamus Long’s loose clearance only found the exciting Patrick McEleney and his cross from the right was powerfully headed to the net by Mark Farren.
Things went from bad to worse for the visitors a minute later. Eddie McCallion sent over a free kick from the right which was headed clear by Kevin Murray but the ball fell to David McDaid who knocked it on to Mark McChrystal and he found the net brilliantly with an overhead kick from inside the penalty area.
Derry continued to press forward although Waterford did put a good move together just before the break. Gary Dunphy played the ball forward to Vinny Sullivan who in turn laid the ball off George O’Callaghan but his strong shot was well saved by Gerard Doherty.