Bohs' Robbie O'keeffe sets his side on the attack


Bohemians 1, Ballymun United 3
Bohemians made their exit from the FAI Junior Cup in Ben Wadding Park on Sunday and in all truth they could have few complaints about the outcome. The Waterford League team could not be faulted for effort because they fought very hard all through, but the Dubliners had that little bit extra in every department.

The visitors got off to a good start by scoring after only nine minutes and from then on Bohemians were chasing the game. When Ballymun increased their advantage early in the second half the writing was on the wall for the red and blacks.

In fairness they fought back and indeed pulled a goal back to give themselves a chance of taking the game into extra time but when Ballymun scored a third goal six minutes from the end that was that from a Bohemians point of view.

Ballymun move into the last four then but for Bohs it’s a case of back to domestic action and the task of trying to secure their place in the Premier League.

Bad start 


Ballymun got off to the best possible start by scoring on nine minutes. Right full-back Paul Doolan took a free kick from just inside his own half. His delivery was headed on by Barry Kavanagh to David Kane who crashed the ball past Geoff Kelly from close range.

Things almost got worse for the home side two minutes later. Liam Byrne swung over a corner kick from the left that found the unmarked Robert Keely but he headed wide from a very good position.

Bohs’ front runners were not getting any joy from a solid Ballymun back four and it was clear that it would take a set piece to trouble the Dublin outfit. Alan Quinan sent over a decent corner kick from the right which was met by David Whittle but he was unable to direst his header on target.

Second goal 


Bohemians appeared to be more settled when the second half got underway and they had a chance on 47 minutes when another Alan Quinlan flag kick was only half cleared by the Ballymun defence but when the ball fell to Matthew Billingham he blazed a shot over the crossbar from just inside the penalty area.

The roof fell in on Bohemians however when Ballymun scored their second goal. Paul Doolan struck a free kick deep into the Bohemians penalty area. Goalkeeper Geoff Kelly came from his line to collect but David McDonnell got there first and he duly stabbed the ball to the net.

Bohs got back into the game on 66 minutes. Stephen Walsh’s long throw into the penalty area from the left was headed on by David Whittle to Leo Jacques. His header came back off the crossbar and Kenny Purcell applied the finish.

The home side tried to push forward in an effort to take the game into extra time but it was Ballymun who had the last word. Peter O’Reilly threw the ball to Barry Kavanagh who got to the right endline before pulling it back for David Kane who gleefully crashed home his second goal of the game.

The Umbro ‘Man of the Match’ award was presented to David Kane.

Bohemians: Geoff Kelly, Adam Heaslip, Andrew Denn (Liam Meagher, 86) David Whittle, Stephen Walsh, Matthew Billingham, Alan Quinlan, Robbie O’Keeffe, Kevin Whittle (Kenny Purcell, 59), Gary Keane (Shane Nolan, 83) Leo Jacques.

Ballymun United: Karl Donnelly, Paul Doolan, Chris Sheridan, Keith Murray, Richie O’Brien, Peter O’Reilly, Liam Byrne (Jamie Gilbert, 66) David O’Donnell, David Kane (Darren Doyle, 87), Barry Kavanagh (Michael Jemkins, 90), Robert Keely.

Referee: Finbar Murphy (Cork).