Carrick United’s Keith Walsh can’t stop Ferrybank’s James Walsh getting in this acrobatic effort.

Carrick United’s Keith Walsh can’t stop Ferrybank’s James Walsh getting in this acrobatic effort.

??? View Photos

Ferrybank 0; Carrick United 2

Down through the years Ferrybank and Carrick have played out some really thrilling cup games. The two clubs have met many times both in the FAI and MFA competitions and fireworks have been the order of the day but that was not the case on Sunday last.

Ferrybank’s main aim this season is to get their place back in the Premier League so there won’t be any tears shed at Abbeylands following this result. Carrick United on the other hand are determined to try and win Ireland’s most famous cup for the second year in a row, following their fantastic victory over Killester United this year at the RSC.

They took the lead after a somewhat stop-start beginning to the game after 35 minutes. Keith Walsh got to the end-line on the right before playing the ball to the back post where Barry Murphy was on hand to drive low past goalkeeper Hugh Mullally.

The game dipped in fervour after that goal but it came as no real surprise when Carrick scored once again after 69 minutes. Barry Murphy was fouled just outside the box by Richard Gaffney.

Adam McSharry, a fine dead ball expert, took the free kick and he curled it over the Ferrybank defence and past the goalkeeper. The champions took their foot off the pedal following that goal as they strolled to victory.

Ferrybank: Hugh Mullally, Colm Roche, Derek Jordan, Richard Gaffney, Ger Flynn, Stephen Westwood, John O’Byrne, Brian Mallon, Kevin Roche, Shane Mallon. Subs: Stephen Dalton for Shane Mallon (75 mins), Ian Mullally for Roche (76 mins), Vinny Hetherington for Westwood (76 mins).

Carrick United: Adrian Walsh, Alan Redmond, Brian Barry, John Walsh, Anthony O’Donnell, Keith Walsh, Adam McSharry, Wayne Fitzgerald, Anthony Power, Glen Keane, Barry Murphy. Subs: Ritchie McLawrence for Barry (81 mins), Ger Robinson for Adrian Walsh (88 mins).

Referee: Paul O’Keeffe.