Postmen: St Saviours’ Brian Arrigan and Hibs’ Colin Delahunty await an inswinging corner.   | Photo: Jim O’Sullivan

Postmen: St Saviours’ Brian Arrigan and Hibs’ Colin Delahunty await an inswinging corner. | Photo: Jim O’Sullivan

Hibernians 1; St Saviour’s 1

??? View Photos

The last time Hibernians and St Saviour’s met in a Premier League game was way back in 1987. The Saints returned to the top flight last season but Hibs were playing in the First Division. So we had to wait until last Sunday to watch the two clubs come face to face and they gave us a pretty entertaining contest although goalscoring chances were few and far between.

The result means that Hibernians lost their one hundred per cent record and they now join four other clubs on seven points. A draw was overall a very fair result.

Hibs should have taken the lead after 2 minutes when Clive Prendergast had a shot blocked by the St Saviours’ goalkeeper Graham Cleary. The ball came back to David Kennedy but his close-range effort was tipped around the post by Cleary.

David Kennedy did however find the net six minutes later. Clive Prendergast took advantage of a mistake by Clifton Power and when he drilled the ball forward, Kennedy drew Graham Cleary before touching the ball to the net from 12 yards.

Hibs drifted out of the game after that goal and it was the Saints who took control. John Paul Jacob shaved an upright with a long-range effort. Brian Arrigan had a free kick on 20 minutes blocked by the Hibs’ defence but Billy Barron shot well wide after the ball had come back to him in front of goal.

Kenny Stafford did have an effort for the home side after 36 minutes when he turned swiftly and shot from 30 yards but the St Saviour’s goalkeeper moved across his line quickly to save. The Ballybeg Saints grabbed a deserved equaliser on 67 minutes. Ian O’Regan fouled Joe Twoomey out on the leaft and when John Paul Jacob sent in the free kick, Anthony Jacob headed home from 8 yards unmarked. Both sides tried to win the game afterwards but neither goalkeeper was really tested.

Hibernians: Eamon Burns, Ian O’Regan, Thomas Moore, John Boland, Colin Delehunty, Liam O’Meara, David McGrath, Kenny Stafford, Clive Prendergast, David Kennedy, Paul Gahan. Subs. Darren Cooney for Moore (h-t) Joey Phelan for Gahan (68 mins) Sean Ryan for McGrath (76 mins)

St Saviours: Graham Cleary, Brian O’Donoghue, Anthony Jacob, John Paul Jacob, Clifton Power, Brian Arrigan, Kevin Dolan, Kenny McLawrence, Billy Barron, Stephen Dalton, Joe Twomey. Subs. Trevor O’Regan for Dolan (70 mins), Colin Keane for Barron (82 mins).

Referee: Jimmy McGrath.