Crystal's Corey Kavanagh and Hibs' Damien Nam battle for the ball.  | Photos: Jim O'Sullivan

Crystal's Corey Kavanagh and Hibs' Damien Nam battle for the ball. | Photos: Jim O'Sullivan

Hibernians 3;   Waterford Crystal 1 (AET)

■□■ View More Photos

Hibernians booked their passage into the next round of the SFAI Under-15 Cup in dramatic fashion on Saturday last at a cold but dry Mitchell Kennedy Park. The game was in the balance right up until the final minute and in truth the result could have gone either way. Both sides went out to win the game in good style and there was not a dull minute during the entire contest.
However at the end it was the hosts who went home the happier. Late goals from Dean Roche and Damien Nam were the only difference between two evenly-matched teams.
Both sides started on the attack and it was Crystal who created the opening chance when Shane Ryan fired in a 20-yard effort that forced a good save from Hibs ’keeper Sean Whitty. Two minutes later it was Hibs who looked dangerous. Oisin Morgan took a pass from Kevin O’Neill but his shot on the turn was inches wide of the far post.
Waterford Crystal then shocked Hibs as they took the lead on 11 minutes. Cory Kavanagh was taken down by Kevin Butler 20 yards from goal. Kavanagh lined up the free-kick himself and he found the net with a right-foot shot that flew past Whitty in the Hibs goal.
Minutes later Hibs won a free kick 25 yards from goal. Darragh Flynn drove the ball goalwards but Crystal ’keeper Declan Doyle made a diving save.
Hibs were on the attack again on 13 minutes as Flynn shot across the goal but Fran Mullane just failed to connect at the far post. Crystal were playing good attacking football at this stage and Cory Kavanagh fired in a powerful shot that was held by Whitty as Shane Ryan closed in.
Just before half-time Hibs went looking for the equaliser as Alan Kerr saw his goal-bound effort turned round the upright by Declan Doyle.
See The Munster Express newspaper for full story.