Seamus Ó'Lonáin, An Rinn gets in his strike despite the attempted blockdown by David Howard during their Waterford SHC first-round clash at Fraher Field.

Seamus Ó

Lismore 4-12; An Rinn 1-9

■□■ View Photos

Lismore, as expected, had a comprehensive win over new-comers to the senior ranks, An Rinn, at Fraher Field on Saturday evening last in the opening round of this year’s senior hurling championship.

It was the newcomers that made the better start, with Billy Breathnach having a goal chance inside the opening minute, but his shot went wide of the post. Padraig Prendergast registered the first score on two minutes, which Padraig O Murchadha responded to two minutes later.

Four points from Maurice Shanahan in quick succession, two from frees, had Lismore four points up with eleven minutes of the game gone. Two frees from Padraig O Murchadha cut Lismore’s lead to just two points halfway through opening half, then James Shanahan and Noel O Murchadha exchanged points on 16 and 19 minutes.

The first of Lismore’s three first half goals came ten minutes before the break. A great crossfield movement from James Shanahan was latched onto by John Prendergast who put the ball past Paddy Catháin in the Ring goal. Seconds later Lismore had a second goal, this time from Maurice Shanahan and on 24 minutes John Prendergast raised Lismore’s third green flag of the half. Padraig O Murchadha and Sean O Cuirrin, either side of Lismore’s third goal, pointed for An Rinn to leave them trailing at the break 3-6 to 0-6.

The second half belonged to the Shanahan brothers. It was Mike Tobin that opened the half’s scoring with a point eight minutes in. Big Dan Shanahan responded with a point almost straight away and his younger brother Maurice pointed a free three minutes later.

Waterford football star Liam O Lionain pointed on fourteen minutes for An Rinn, after which Maurice Shanahan pointed from a difficult angle. Dan Shanahan got Lismore’s fourth goal of the game with eleven minutes remaining.

Padraig O Murchadha pointed for An Rinn with nine minutes left, after which Maurice Shanahan pointed twice inside a minute. James Shanahan added a point for the winners with four minutes to go, and in the final minute Padraig O Murchadha wrapped up the scoring with a consolation goal from a free.

Lismore: B Landers; E Bennett, J O’Connor, L Byrne; S Bennett, D O’Gorman, T O’Brien; D Howard, S Kearney; J Prendergast, J Shanahan, D Shanahan; C O’Gorman, M Shanahan, P Prendergast.

Scorers: M Shanahan 1-4, J Prendergast 2-1, D Shanahan 1-1, P Prendergast and J Shanahan 0-1 each.

Ring: P Ó Catháin; S Ó Cuirrín, D Breathnach, S Ó Lionáin; D Ó hArtaigh, S Ó hArtaigh, C Ó Murchadha; E Breathnach, N Ó Murchadha; M Tóibín, P Ó Murchadha, T Ó hUallacháin; L Ó Lionáin, C Ó Conchúir, B Breathnach. Subs used. N O Lionáin, S O Ceallaigh, A O hEochaidh, P O Liatháin.

Scorers: P Murchadha 1-5, L O Lionain, Mike Tobin, S O Currin and N Murchadha 0-1 each.

Referee: Jim Murphy (Mount Sion).