Above: Cian Chester (6) of Bohs congratulates team mate Shane O’Connor after scoring his side’s second goal.          | Photos: Noel Browne

Above: Cian Chester (6) of Bohs congratulates team mate Shane O’Connor after scoring his side’s second goal. | Photos: Noel Browne

Bohemians 2; Moyne Rangers (Enniscorthy) 2

(AET, Bohs win 5-3 on penalties)

After a long absence without competitive football stretching back to October, Ben Wadding Park was the venue for this cracking SFAI Cup game last Saturday.
Bohemians went into the game as favourites to set up a meeting with Southend United in the next stage but they were made fight all the way by a hard working Wexford team.
The game was only 12 minutes old when Moyne Rangers took the lead through Antoine Fischer after Bohs keeper Dylan Power had saved John Reale’s goal-bound effort.
Bohemians, in their change kit of navy, came close to drawing level eight minutes later. Chris Kervick split the Moyne Rangers defence – his through ball was picked up by Craig Connolly who looked odds on to score.
But Patrick O’Shea got back in the nick of time to kick the ball off the goal line with his goalkeeper well beaten.
Bohemians drew level in the 22nd minute. Craig Connolly’s superb cross from the left was parried by Rangers goalkeeper Mick O’Toole. The ball spilled to Chris Kervick who tapped into the net from close range with the outside of his right boot.
Within two minutes of the restart, Bohs were ahead, Johnny Walsh playing in Shane O’Connor who beat the offside trap to crack the ball past Mick O’Toole from 14 yards.
The Waterford side almost increased their advantage on 55 minutes when Chris Kervick cut in from the right, but his angled strike from the edge of the penalty area went over the crossbar.
Moyne Rangers levelled the tie once again from the penalty spot just before the hour mark after Craig Connolly took down the advancing Niall Tyrone inside 18 yards box.
Up stepped Timothy Dwyer to take the spot kick and he sent Dylan Power the wrong way to make it 2-2 in a cracking cup tie.
In the 71st minute, Jason Keane took off on a super solo run before releasing the ball to Shane O’Connor but he shot high over the crossbar from the edge of the box.
The visitors piled on the pressure during the final 10 minutes of normal time and Dylan Power had to be at his best during that period, producing top drawer saves from Timothy Dwyer and Kyle Murphy.
The opening minute of extra time saw Bohs centre back Kevin Barry sweep the ball off the goal line when it looked as if Niall Tyrone had scored.
Seconds later at the other end Cian Chester somehow managed to shoot wide when it looked easier to score. But this game was destined to spot kicks – and so it proved.
To Bohs’ credit, they fired home all five penalties in the shoot-out thanks to Thomas Whitty, Jason Keane, Kevin Barry, Shane O’Connor and Johnny Walsh.
Niall Tyrone, Timothy Dwyer and Diarmuid Cullen did the business for Moyne Rangers but unfortunately from their point of view, Jamie Fox shot over the crossbar with their third spot kick. Bohs advance to set up a local derby.
Bohemians: Dylan Power, Thomas Whitty, Luke Brown, Mark McManus, Kevin Barry, Cian Chester, Chris Kervick, Jason Keane, Johnny Walsh, Shane O’Connor, Craig O’Connor.
Subs: Billy Ryan for McManus (53 mins) Conor McArdle for Brown (70 mins)
Moyne Rangers: Mick O’Toole, Aaron Morrissey, Patrick O’Shea, Diarmuid Cullen, Brian Ronan, Timothy Dwyer, Jamie Fox, Liam Murphy, Kristian Buckley, John Reale, Antoine Fischer.
Subs: Billy Murphy for O’Shea (48 mins) Niall Tyrone for Liam Murphy (52 mins) Kyle Murphy for Fischer (69 mins)
Referee: Ritchie Brazil.