Dungarvan\'s Tony Keane tries to get round Southend\'s John Starmer. Photo: Jim O Sullivan.

Dungarvan's Tony Keane tries to get round Southend's John Starmer. Photo: Jim O Sullivan.

[View photos]

Southend United 1; Dungarvan United 2

Southend United missed a lot of chances in this game and as a result they remain bottom of the pile. They have four games left to get the points to keep them in the top division, but they will have to improve up front if they are to get those much needed points.

Dungarvan were missing a number of regular players, such as Jondy Byrne and Aidan Landers, but they took advantage of the few chances they got and they are now well away from the lower regions of the table.

Southend created a number of opportunities during the opening 30 minutes. After 2 minutes Daniel Sullivan met a corner-kick taken from the right by Colin Fanning but his bullet header crashed off the bottom of Alan Landers’ crossbar and down on to the goal-line before being cleared.

Five minutes later Paul Quilty got to the left endline before pulling the ball back to Paul Carey but he shot over the bar from a good position. Dungarvan’s Tony Keane got some space on the left on 20 minutes but he curled his effort wide of the far upright.

Southend struck the woodwork again on 28 minutes. Patrick Carey got in a cross from the left but Paul Carey saw his shot come back off the upright.

Dungarvan took the lead just after the half-hour mark. Micheal Downey played the ball out wide right to Gavin Crotty who fired in a weak shot from the edge of the penalty area but the ball slipped through the hands of the Southend goalkeeper Sean Walsh and into the back of the net.

The last chance of the first half fell to the home side when a Patrick Carey corner from the left was met by Paul Quilty but he hooked the ball over the crossbar from 6 yards range.

Downey scores

Playing with the breeze, it was Dungarvan who looked the more impressive side during the opening minutes of the second half and they increased their lead on 64 minutes with a typical Micheal Downey goal. Goalkeeper Alan Landers sent the ball long down the field and Downey got past two defenders before drawing goalkeeper Sean Walsh and slotting the ball to the corner of the net.

It was a real route one goal but it was enough to win the game for the Old Borough side. Paddy Dooley came on as a substitute on 71 minutes and one minute later he was taken down inside the area by Kevin Walsh. Daniel Sullivan took the penalty and he gave Alan Landers no chance.

The onslaught from Southend never came however and it was Micheal Downey who very nearly scored again with another blistering run but this tome Sean Walsh saved with his legs.

Southend United: Sean Walsh, Daniel Sullivan, Colin Fanning, Michael Farrell, Micchael Caulfield, John Starmer, Anthony O’Rourke, Paul Carey, Paul Quilty, Patrick Carey, Kristian Walsh. Subs: Chris Feehan for Kristian Walsh (54 mins), Stephen Forsey for Carey (66 mins), Paddy Dooley for Farrell (71 mins).

Dungarvan United: Alan Landers, John Lacey, Derek Barry, Christy Power, Tony Fitzgerald, Gavin Crotty, Kevvin Walsh, Mark Crotty, Tony Keane, Patricck Lynch, Micheal Downey. Sub: Tommy Butler for Walsh (85 mins).

Referee: Tony Walsh.