Four weeks ago Waterford Crystal lost to Villa in the Premier League in Connors Park

Four weeks ago Waterford Crystal lost to Villa in the Premier League in Connors Park

Villa 1; Waterford Crystal 3

??? View Photos

Four weeks ago Waterford Crystal lost to Villa in the Premier League in Connors Park but the tables were well and truly turned at the same venue on Saturday night last.

Conor Fell came to Crystal’s rescue after four minutes when he kicked the ball off the goal-line after Conor McDonald had met a corner kick taken by Ian Nagle.

Paul Omotoso brought a fine save from the Crystal goalkeeper Derek Hearne on 24 minutes.

Conor McDonald then struck the butt of the upright from the left on 28 minutes after he was sent clear by Gerry Connors. Crystal began to settle into the game after those scares and they took the lead on 38 minutes in fine style.

Dean Rochford played the ball out wide left to Joe Watson who in turn played it into the path of Paul Quilty who raced into the area and drilled the ball under the body of the advancing goalkeeper Robert Bresnan.

One minute into time added on in the first half Villa were awarded a penalty when Paul Omotoso was taken down by Conor Fell. Conor McDonald took the spot kick but Derek Hearne produced a wonderful save by diving to his right to turn the ball away.

Waterford Crystal increased their advantage 13 minutes into the second half and again it was Paul Quilty, the former Southend player who did the business.

Jimmy Barden played the ball forward from inside his own half to Quilty. The Villa central defender Ian Sullivan got in a fine tackle but when the ball broke free to Quilty once again he made no mistake with his left foot at the second time of asking.

The game was wrapped up when Crystal were awarded a penalty after 74 minutes. Martin Tynan played the ball over the Villa defence and when Paul Quilty was taken down by goalkeeper Robert Bresnan, Keith Sheridan made no mistake from the spot.

There was no way back for Villa after that third goal although they did score a fine goal in injury time when Declan Furlong headed home a left wing cross from Des Mullett.

Villa: Robert Bresnan, Des Mullett, Ian Nagle, Declan Furlong, Ian Sullivan, Nicky Corcoran, Ross Douglas, Paul Omotoso, Gerry Connors, Conor McDonald, Danny Sheridan. Subs: Danny Walsh for Sheridan; Paddy Davis for Connors (both 71).

Waterford Crystal: Derek Hearne, Mitchell Casey, Jimmy Barden, David McEvoy, Conor Fell, Dean Rochford, Martin Tynan, Keith Sheridan, Paul Quilty, Joe Watson, Robbie Butler. Subs: Diarmuid Delehunty for Watson (80) and Gavin Roche for Rochford (83).

Referee: Noel Purcell.