Southend's Jamie Robinson in control against Templeogue's Curtis Murphy.


 Southend United 2 Templeogue 1

Southend United’s Under 12 team recorded a magnificent victory on Saturday last in the SFAI Cup when they turned on the style to defeat a hotly-fancied Templeogue side in Ballybeg.

They now travel to play Wicklow Rovers in the next round and the joint management team of Matthew Wilmott and Mickey Robinson will make their way to the Garden County in a confident frame of mind following this superb victory.

Every Southend player gave his all on the wet and heavy pitch and this will go down in the history of the club as one of their best ever results. The manager of the Templeougue side was the highly rated League of Ireland referee Damien Hancock and he was quick to pay tribute to the Southend United players after the game.


Templogue opened up brightly and they went close after seven minutes. Curtis Murphy sent in a corner kick from the right which was met by Lee O’Donoghue but his header was easily saved by the home goalkeeper Reece Flanagan.

O’Donoghue came to the rescue of his side shortly afterwards when he brilliantly tackled Dean O’Halloran inside the penalty area following a pass from Eoin Kelly. Dean O’Halloran did, however, open the scoring after 22 minutes.

Sam Ogayemi found O’Halloran with an excellent pass and from right side of the park, and after getting past Lee O’Donoghue the Southend striker struck an unstoppable shot the visiting goalkeeper Daire Hancock, the manager’s son.

Two minutes later Southend almost doubled their lead when Dean O’Halloran picked out Jamie Robinson from a corner kick but on this occasion Daire Hancock produced a wonderful save with his feet.

Just before the half-time break the United goalkeeper Reece Flanagan produced a fine save from Jamie Mulhall who had latched on to a pass from Robbie Moyniheu.


Southend had the advantage of the strong breeze in the second half but it was the Dubliners who enjoyed a lot of possession and central defender Shane Mackey had to be at his very best to keep many attacks at bay, something he did with real class and composure.

Mackey did the business at the other end when he more or less put the game to bed with a stunning free kick on 43 minutes. Sam Ogayemi was fouled by Ian Shiels 20 yards from goal: Mackey took the free kick and his right-footed effort gave Daire Hancock no chance whatsoever.

Robbi Moynihue went close for Templeogue on 56 minutes following a pass from Johnny Dowling but he couldn’t keep his shot on target. With time almost up, Shane Mackey deflected a shot from Aaron Shittock into his own net but it was all to little to late for the visitors.

Superb stuff from Southend United – now bring on Wicklow Rovers!

Southend United (panel): Reece Flanagan, Conor Dunphy, Jason Power, Shane Mackey, Richard Grace, Eoin Healy, Jamie Robinson, Sam Ogayemi, Craig Norris, Dean O’Halloran, Dale Hayes, William Chester, Shane Cody, Lola Ganigu and Ryan Flanagan.


Templeogue (panel): Daire Hancock, Kevin Tracey, Ian Shiels, Lee O’Donoghue, Matthew Byrne, Johnny Dowling, Jamie Mulhall, Aaron Shittcock, Evan Mears, Robbie Moyniheu, Curtis Murphy, Graham Seery and Cian Griffin.


Referee: Johnny Matthews.

Lead increased

O’Halloran goal