Close action with Waterford\'s Adam Potter and Sth Tipp\'s Conor Conneally.

Close action with Waterford's Adam Potter and Sth Tipp's Conor Conneally.

[View photos]

Waterford 4; South Tipperary 1

Waterford came good during the second half of this game played at the RSC. The Tipperary side, managed by the former Waterford United goalkeeper Martin Quinlivan, put up a decent show but overall the Waterford side were just too strong for them.
The local management team of Eamonn Cleary and Ray Anderson watched their side struggle to come to grips with the dodgy pitch during the opening 35 minutes but when they came out for the second half they took control completely and it came as no surprise that the goals began to flow during that period. The result was never in any doubt and the victory was to be the first of a remarkable day.

Despite the fact that Waterford did not play all that well in the first half, they did take the lead after only one minute of play. Derrick Williams, the highly rated Tramore player, cut in from the left and shot at goal. Tipperary goalkeeper Michael Kilcourse failed to hold his low strike and Jonathan McEvoy was in the right place to tuck the ball to the net. Paddy Barrett had fed Williams to set up the goal.

Shortly afterwards a Craig Keane corner kick from the left was headed wide by defender Evan Connolly. Jonathan McEvoy sprayed the ball to Craig Keane after 10 minutes but his shot from the right went inches over the crossbar.

Craig Keane was back in the action again on 15 minutes. He played the ball forward to Jonathan McEvoy but on this occasion Michael Kilcourse advanced to save. Waterford did have a chance to score again on 26 minutes.

Jonathan McEvoy took the ball off defender Tommy Sweeney and picked out Joe Kett from the right but the latter shot over the crossbar from a good position. Just before the interval, Paddy Barrett dragged a shot wide following good work by Conor Morrissey.

Goals flow

Tipperary had to replace their goalkeeper Michael Kilcourse 2 minutes into the second half. He had got a knock on the ankle just before the end of the opening period. He was replaced by Eoin Fitzgerald and he was immediately called into action, saving from a hard Joe Kett effort from just inside the penalty area.

Derrick Williams did however make it 2-0 on 40 minutes. He took a delightful pass from Paddy Barrett out on the left and he slipped it past Eoin Fitzgerald from 16 yards. Shortly afterwards Derrick Williams hammered a free kick from 20 yards off the crossbar.

Jonathan McEvoy was taken down inside the penalty area by Dean Longeran after 44 minutes and the Southend United player Paddy Barrett rattled the net with a well-taken penalty kick.

Jonathan McEvoy scored his second goal of the game 4 minutes later to make the overall score 4-0. Derrick Williams played the ball into the path of the Villa player and he duly struck the ball hard past the advancing replacement goalkeeper.

Tipperary did get on the mark from the penalty spot in injury-time and the manager’s son, Michael Quinlivan was the player who sent the ball to the Waterford net, but at that stage the cup was waiting to be collected by the happy Waterford players.

Waterford (panel): Dylan Power, Adam Potter, Eoin Wells, Kevin Barry, Evan Connolly (c), Conor Morrissey, Derrick Williams, Paddy Barrett, Jonathan McEvoy, Joe Kett, Craig Keane. Subs: Chris Kervick, Glen Hawe, PP Purcell, Conor Twomey, Eoin Kindlon, Anthony Fitzpatrick, Tom Whittey, Mark Weldon, Dale Sheridan.

South Tipperary (panel): Michael Kilcourse, Aidan McGrath, Conor Conneally, Tommy Sweeney, Dean Longeran, Michael Quinlivan, Brendan Connolly, Carlan O’Gorman, Levi Whelan, Kevin Gunne, Jamie Maher. Subs.: Brendan Dewick, Mark Shortt, Michael Delehunty, Niall O’Sullivan, Eoin Fitzgerald, Niall Daly, Carlan O’Sullivan.

Referee: Jimmy McGrath.
Waterford Leagues win incredible Grand Slam

U12s conquer Clare kids

Extra-time glory for Furlong’s U-15s

U-16s outclass Kerry teens