Villa's Barry Power takes on Hibs' Sean Purcell. | Photos: Noel Browne
Villa’s Barry Power takes on Hibs’ Sean Purcell. | Photos: Noel Browne
■□■ View More Photos

Regular followers of the Under-16 ‘A’ League believe that this title is going to be a three-club shoot-out between Villa, Southend United and Bohemians.
The Villa side went into this game on Thursday night last in pole position but they had played and extra game. Hibernians may be struggling somewhat in league football but prior to this match they had knocked Clonmel Town out of the SFAI Cup and needless to say they fine victory had them in fine fettle for this contest.
The game was in doubt right up until kick-off time due to the heavy rain which fell on the day but some hard graft by the Villa mentors removed the surface water which was lodged in front of one of the goals and the match referee Jimmy White eventually passed the pitch playable minutes before the scheduled 7pm kick-off time.
The home side did collect the three points to keep them in the leading position but they had to fight hard to get the better of a dogged Hibernians outfit.
Star man for the visitors was their goalkeeper Sean Whitty. The Hibs netminder produced a number of excellent saves during the course of the match. Overall this was a very good game between two fine teams.
Quickfire goals
The Villa began very brightly and they took the game to Hibernians from the off. Barry Power tested Sean Whitty from 20 yards after two minutes. Shortly afterwards Levi Whelan fed Kevin Flynn with a fine low pass but again Sean Whity was equal to the task.
Villa continued to press forward and Adam Potter played a long ball to Flynn on eight minutes but once again he saw Whitty produce another superb save. The next Villa player to be denied by the in-form ’keeper was Jack Doherty who burst into the penalty area only to be stopped in his tracks by Whitty.
Doherty was back in the thick of the action once again on 16 minutes, taking a delivery from Aaron Galibert but this time it was defender Dean Roche who frustrated him with a top-class tackle inside the penalty area.
Hibernians eventually began to find their feet and left full back Darragh Flynn went close with a free kick from 25 yards. Villa missed a great chance to take the lead on 35 minutes when Aaron Galibert shot over the crossbar from a good position after Barry Power had done the hard work.
See The Munster Express newspaper for full story.