A family home in Crystal Court has had a fire-bomb thrown at it and a shot fired through its kitchen window in recent days, the latest in a series of incidents linked to an ongoing Traveller feud in the city.

None of the eight children or two adults who reside in the house were injured during the attacks.

Gardai say a device similar to a petrol bomb was thrown at the house on Monday night. It failed to make contact and no damage was caused. The same house was at the centre of a shooting incident on Sunday night, when a bullet pierced and shattered the rear kitchen window while the eight children were sleeping inside. The scene was sealed off for a technical examination on Monday morning.

This was the third shooting connected to the Traveller row in the last two weeks: a firearm has also been discharged close to houses in Farran Park on two separate occasions. Several fire bombs have also been thrown at houses in a number of estates. Garda searches have resulted in the seizure of two sawn-off shotguns, 37 petrol bombs, a small quantity of ammunition and an assortment of weapons including slash hooks, machetes, hammers, pick-axe handles, swords, knives and hatchets.

To date, 15 men have been arrested in connection with the dispute and the majority of these have been refused bail, pending further court appearances.


Bail granted

Meanwhile a 19-year-old youth arrested on a firearms charge arising out of the Traveller feud was granted bail in Waterford District Court on Tuesday.

Thomas Stokes, with an address at Clonard Park, Ballybeg, Waterford, is charged with possession of a firearm at Farran Park, Waterford, on August 5, 2008.

Applying for bail, Mr Kenneth Cunningham, solr, defending, said his client was in custody on a very serious charge. If granted bail he was willing to live with his sister, who had an address in Co Wicklow for the last four years. She was willing to accommodate him until his case came up.

Garda Inspector John Hunt, Waterford, said the Co Wicklow address was acceptable to the Gardai. Bail would not be opposed if he resided there and undertook to keep away from Waterford city and county, save to attend court or to consult with his legal advisors and did not interfere with any witnesses or their families involved in the feud. The Gardai would require him to sign-on daily at Gorey Garda Station in North Co Wexford.

Granting bail, Judge Gerard Haughton remanded the defendant to Waterford District Court on August 26 next on condition that he stayed away from Waterford and signed-on daily at Gorey Garda Station between 9 am and 9 pm and kept a curfew between 9.30 pm and 8 am on the following morning. The Judge directed the defendant to keep the peace and be of good behaviour and not offend.

Judge Haughton warned the defendant: “If I am satisfied that you have broken any of the conditions of bail, I will not give you bail again and you will go into custody and remain there for as long as it takes for your case to be heard”.