A delighted Kilmacthomas team celebrate their success in the Willie Moran cup.

A delighted Kilmacthomas team celebrate their success in the Willie Moran cup.

Kilmacthomas – 3
Ferrybank – 2

Kilmacthomas got their name on the roll of honour when they defeated a gallant Ferrybank team in the first ever playing of the Willie Moran Cup final in Ozier Park.

This outfit had already been crowned league champions so it has been a magnificent season for the talented youngsters.

Kilmacthomas got off to the perfect start in the final when they struck the front inside the opening two minutes when Scott Mackey did well out on the right and his cross broke to Nathan Power who let fl y with a cracking left-footed strike that flew past a helpless Ferrybank keeper Jamie Sutton.

Things for even better for the Kilmacthomas outfit three minutes later when the brilliance of midfielder Alan Dunwoody saw him burst through the centre of the park past a young Ferrybank defence before he slotted a low right-footed shot past keeper Sutton from deep inside the area.

The third Kilmacthomas attack of the game on 11 minutes yielded a third goal for the cup victors when Alex Whelan slipped the ball into the path of Dunwoody and his exquisite right-footed volley gave Ferrybank goalkeeper Jamie Sutton no chance whatsoever.

The post denied them their fourth goal of the game seven minutes later when Alan Dunwoody did well down the right channel to cross to the near post for Alex Whelan but his close range right-footed shot came crashing back off the woodwork as Kilmacthomas dominated the opening half.

Dunwoody had a glorious chance to notch his hat trick goal six minutes into the second half of the contest when the talented youngster latched onto a through ball from Alex Whelan but his close range effort was superbly kept out by the feet of Ferrybank netminder Jamie Sutton.

Kilmacthomas goalkeeper Luke O’Brien showed his pure class with two unbelievable saves on 38 minutes when Shane Alyward did well out on the left side before cracking in a left-footed shot that was somehow kept out and after the ball broke to Adenekan but he was also denied from close range.

Ferrybank did get themselves on the score sheet less than two minutes later when Alyward whipped in a right-wing corner kick to the near post and Sultan Adenekan powered a header low to the corner of the net past the despairing dive of Kilmacthomas netminder O’Brien.

Ferrybank did pile on the pressure to set up a grandstand finish when firstly they had a goal rightly ruled out by the offside flag and then Ceilum Brophy struck the top of the crossbar before they eventually got a goal two minutes from full time.

Shane Alyward, who led the line superbly for Ferrybank in the second half, sent in a magnificent cross from the left and Sultan Adenekan gave keeper Jake O’Brien no chance with a fantastic bullet like header but it was too long too late as Kilmacthomas held out for victory.

After the game, Seanie Moran, brother of Willie presented the cup to a delighted Kilmacthomas team before WSFL vice-chairperson Mary Ray presented the league title to captain Colyn Power.

FERRYBANK:  Jamie Sutton, Richard Capile, Evan King, Sean Oleyemi, Eemi Ajayi, Joshue Goodman Foskin, Joy Hodemu, Sultan Adenekan, Shane Alyward, Samuel Itaire, Luke O’Brien, Eugene Tipa, Cillian Horan, Ceilum Brophy.

KILMACTHOMAS:  Jake O’Brien, Shane Kirwan, Dan Halley, Evan Power, Scott Mackey, Alan Dunwoody, Nathan Power, Alex Whelan, Colyn Power, Jeff Dowdall, Sealian Cadey, Brian Dowdall, Davy Power, Robbie Bailey, Adam Moyahan, Ronan Kiely, Josh McCormack

REFEREE: Michael Wall.

ASSISTANTS: Marky Lucas and Adrian Scanlon.