Following impressive victories over Dungarvan United and Ferrybank, the Villa recorded their third win from three outings at Connors Park on Saturday evening last.
Ray Moran’s charges have set down a marker to the rest of the teams in the Division and they look extremely solid all over the park at this early stage of this marathon campaign.
Ian Cantwell had a chance for the hosts in the third minute but he lost control of the ball in front of goal. Chris Raymond tried his luck for St Joseph’s on 18 minutes but his fine effort went narrowly over the crossbar.
But the opening goal came from the penalty spot after 22 minutes. Conor McDonald set Niall McCabe free and he was taken down by Saints right-full back Cory Kavanagh, leaving referee Jimmy McGrath with no option but to point to the spot.
Conor Coad, who had scored from the spot in the two previous games, stepped up to take the penalty and he gave goalkeeper Dylan Power no chance whatsoever from 12 yards.
The visitors had an excellent opportunity to get back on level terms on 34 minutes when Walter Croke cut in from the left but with only Brandon O’Callaghan in the Villa goal to beat he shot straight at the home custodian.
Dylan Power produced a brilliant save from Niall McCabe after 38 minutes and just before the break the St Joseph’s goalkeeper did remarkably well to keep out a rasping drive from Conor McDonald.
After the change of ends, the hosts continued to press forward and Dylan Power had to be at his very best once again to keep an effort from Niall McCabe out in the 52nd minutes.
At the opposite end, Brandon O’Callaghan displayed his class by saving a super 30 yards effort from James Starmer.
Villa doubled their advantage on 69 minutes when Ian Cantwell picked out Niall McCabe with a fantastic diagonal ball and McCabe lobbed the ball over the stranded Dylan Power from 30 yards.
That goal knocked the heart out of a St Joseph’s team who are still seeking their first win of the season.
In the final minute Robbie O’Keeffe made it 3-0 with a low angled shot from the right side of the penalty area after taking a pass from Danny Walsh. The Villa go marching on.
Villa: Brandon O’Callaghan; Kevin Kelly, Dylan McGuire, Eoin Ginnety, Gavin O’Donovan; Daniel Ahearne, Ian Cantwell, Conor McDonald, Conor Coad; Danny Walsh, Niall McCabe.
Substitutes: Robbie O’Keeffe for McDonald (78 mins) and Jamie Cross for McGuire (82).
St Joseph’s: Dylan Power; Cory Kavanagh, Chris Raymond, Billy Ryan, Damien Thomas; James Starmer, Dylan Foley, David Flynn, Walter Croke; Jamie Walsh, Adam Deegan.
Substitutes: Paul Smith for Deegan (67 mins) and Colin Delehunty for Flynn (76)
Referee: Jimmy McGrath.
Assistants: Tony Lacey and John Ferncombe.